Chapter 35... Captive

Word of unwelcome visitors travelled fast. In just over an hour, the packs were gathered and standing in our backyard around the cold, empty fire pit. The gathering had been so last-minute that no one had bothered to light a fire. There was no time.

They were all united and sombre-faced as Josh and Jacob relayed what they had seen.

"So, what are we going to do?" asked one of the pack members when Josh had finished.

"What we always do," Sam said. "Protect our people and the people of Forks. The Cullens have already offered their help." Sam looked over to Emmett and Rosalie who were standing off to the side of the larger crowd. Emmett nodded in agreement with a cheery smile.

"Why're we all worked up over a few stray leeches?" Jared called out. "We already scared off the newborns and the old crusty ones. We don't need to be nearly as diplomatic this time... Why don't we just chew off their heads and be done with it?"

"Because that could create new problems, like Victoria," Edward said, suddenly behind Josh and Jacob. He was soon joined by Carlisle, Alice, and Jasper who arrived in a burst of wind. "Remember her?"

"I also don't want to antagonize them," Carlisle said in his usual calm way. "From what they've said, they mean us no harm."

"Oh, really?" I said. My eyebrows raised in disbelief.

Edward nodded, though Alice looked a little more unsure.

"We spoke with them at length," Edward explained. "Told them all they wanted to hear. Explained just how we had successfully repelled not just the Volturi but a newborn army." He smirked at that. "We didn't come right out and say it, but I think they got the message—we're not to be messed with."

"Their intentions seemed true," Carlisle added. "They were just looking for something interesting and the tales of our strength were too tempting to miss. As you might imagine, as you get to be our age," he gave a small, humourless laugh, "you start to get rather bored. They were just looking for entertainment."

"So, are they gone?" Jacob said.

Edward nodded. "For now. To keep things, uh, friendly, we've invited them to visit again but to give us more warning next time."

Sam frowned. "But Josh said they were red-eyed. I don't want them them around our people if they're intending to feed on humans."

"We explained that, too," Carlisle said. "That the people of La Push and Forks are strictly off-limits. In fact, when we explained our limited diet, they were very intersted... so that provides some hope."

The pack shifted. It seemed to have been resolved, but it still made everyone uneasy. I was with them—I didn't like the idea of random vampires wandering around our territory.

"What about the hikers?" Josh asked, narrowing his eyes. He didn't seem to like the idea, either.

"We asked about them," Edward said. "They insisted that they didn't kill them and from what I could tell, they were telling the truth."

"'From what you could tell?'" I echoed back to him, incredulous.

Edward winced. He didn't seem to like this particular topic. "Like many of our kind, one of them seems to have a special talent. It's similar to Bella's, but mixed with Victoria's. That's why we weren't able to detect them until they were basically right outside, and why I couldn't completely read their thoughts—but I got enough. They've already gone on their way—Jasper and I escorted them to the edge of Seattle before we bid them goodbye."

Josh, Jacob, and Sam all exchanged looks. Even if it all sounded good, it wasn't enough.

"We'll be doing patrols tonight," Sam announced to the crowd. "Just in case."