4 - the third crash

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

1 9 9 7

"YEAH IM GOING TO be late," bobbie sighed in the payphone, scared to break the news that he had broken one to many times lately, "i got in an accident." he cringed.

"what!?" you said through the phone in your room.

"hey, im really ok-"

"where are you?"

"stop, im fin-"

"where. are. you." you said it more demanding, hoping that the tears that were forming didnt cause your voice to choke. they did.

bobbie closed his eyes, sighing again, and told you where he was. and he knew the beep of you hanging up meant you were already halfway out the door.

__

he watched as your car pulled up, and you didnt even mind to close the door as you stormed out of your car and up to the police officer inspecting the damage. bobbie stayed seated on the curb, knowing his place in the matter.

the damage wasnt much, but it couldve been. he just drifted into the other lane and against the gard rails, due to his failed brakes. the same brakes that had failed last month. you smiled and nodded to the officers words, and thanked him, setting your now hate filled eyes on your best friend.

"hey," bobbie said, standing up and prepared to calm you down, "relax. it was just a minor-"

"really !?" you sent a forceful hand to the boys shoulder, pushing him back a little, "another accident? this is like the third one this year, bobbie." you groaned, trying to stop the tears in your eyes. bobbie's insides seemed to ache at the sight of you.

"im sorr-"

"they said your brakes failed, bobbie. failed." bobbie felt defeated, like a kid getting scolded at, there was nothing for him to say to make the matter any better, so he said nothing, "they also said, that if you were going any faster, or someone was coming the other way, you. could. have. died." you didnt even try to stop the tears from flowing down your face now, and you had begun to make a scene. yelling and aggressively pushing your friend backwards, bobbie looked down as to not meet anybody else's eye. "my gosh bobbie you are reckless. you are stupid." with every hurtful adjective you had thrown at the boy you had pushed him harder. the loss of your friends was still a fresh wound two years later, and you found yourself consistently afraid of losing your last living best friend. you were just mad, and the only way you saw fit to express your anger was through physical contact. you suddenly had more respect for teenage boys.

"hey, hey, stop it." bobbie struggled for a few seconds to catch your violent hands, but once he was able to slow them down, he quickly gathered you in his arms as you sobbed, whispering apologies into your ear, "stop it. i'm sorry. i'm sorry. i'm sorry."

you soaked his tshirt, and he frowned. he hadnt been taking care of himself lately, a wound of his own effecting him too. but youre next words made him want to drop everything just to get his stupid old crappy car, and life, fixed right then and there.

"you dont get it, bobbie. you dont. i cant lose you too." you had sobbed the words into his chest, all muffled and weak, and your body gave out underneath you. he was able to catch you, though his stance faltered as well at just your words.

he took your face in his hands, and brought it in front of his own, "you will not lose me." it was these five words, this sentence that had repeated in her head many times over the next couple of minutes, that finally calmed her down, "i promise." bobbie held you tighter again, letting you calm down in his hold, "lets just go home, yeah? let me drive you home, and we'll go get this piece of crap fixed tomorrow, okay?" you had nodded, as he swiped his thumbs to gather your tears, and you drove him to your house.
_______________________________

2 0 2 1

"obviously," you shook your head, "bobbie had not gotten his car fixed the next day." luke frowned, "or ever again."

luke just nodded.

"the crash happened a week later. his brakes failed due to the rain." you closed your eyes, trying not to let the memories overtake you again.

"that idiot." luke seemed to get mad, his face got tight and his hands formed fists that pressed into the ground, "he was always so careless."

you just sat there quietly, not knowing what else to say. it hurt to think of him like that, like an idiot. like someone who deserved blame.

"let's stop talking," you began to get up, trying not to act suspicious, "just for tonight."

"ok," luke shuffled to get off of the floor, hesitating to your change of interest, "what do you want to do?"

you thought for a moment, "let's go annoy julie."

luke smirked, "my favorite pastime."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───