𝟜 , flashbacks & first kisses

whoops kind of a long one, but i already have the next one planned so YAY
in to the part of the story that comes after season one...
~ remember that night by sara kays ~
2179 words

♥ ♫ ♥ ♫ ♥

"you're turn," luke stood up, gesturing you to take his seat behind the piano, "pick a song."

free from the threat of leaving each other ever again, now that caleb was over and done with, you and luke only grew closer. every night that you and luke got the garage to yourselves, you would take turns playing around with the piano and your song books, singing personal songs and jamming out to some old sunset curve singles.

"hmm," you skimmed your personal songbook, trying to find one you hadn't done in a while. ghost of you actually had become a pretty popular one, the sting of the song had faded and the two of you had fallen in love with it. it was like the weight of all that grief was finally taken off of your chest. but tonight, you wanted something different.

your fingers found a page that set your heart to your throat, and you hoped you could flip fast enough for luke not to question it. he knew you better than anyone, and always seemed to catch your brief expressions of panic or fear.

but, at the same time, you hesitated. maybe luke should hear this one.

luke realized you had been staring at the page for a while, he could tell you were deep in thought.

"hey, you ok?"

you looked up to meet his eye, "umm, yeah." you sat down, pulling your songbook to your lap, "i do have this one song," luke jumped up at your sudden hesitant attitude, an intrigued smirk on his face.

"ooooh," he taunted, reaching for your songbook, which you quickly brought away from his hands. your movement made his face drop, and he put his elbows down on the piano in front of you, "what's up?"

you looked down, "it's another song i wrote..." you sighed, "after you died." he frowned, but nodded, shifting to sit on top of the piano right next to you. right now, the boy was just happy you were willing to share something with him, so he didn't want to do anything to mess it up.

so he took your hand, "start when you're ready."

you smiled up at him, and took a deep breath.

you started the slow chords that set the tone of the song, and tried not to look at luke's face, that seemed to fall more and more by the second.

you took another breath, and sang.

"The day after you had all died
All I did was lay in bed and cry
and after one month, i couldn't just move on
but after two, I felt alright
Then three months in, you were still on my mind"

you took your first look back up at luke, who looked down at you from his position on top of the piano, and his eyes made your stomach drop. but you tried not to focus on their sadness as you continued.

"And month four and five, I was living my life
I was better and didn't have to try
to not cry over you, until he reached out
And said, 'Remember that night?' "

you closed your eyes as the memories came flooding back.

1996, a year without him

you sighed as you plopped yourself on your bed, smiling as you turned your head to face the picture frame on your nightstand. of you and luke, you smiled as you stroked it.