Part 4. Arrested On What Charges?

Minutes passed, but it seemed like forever. The rain continued to pour down, as it bounced off the ground and filled the cups and saucers which where situated upon the tables, that were placed around the court yard. The water overflowing out of them, like tiny waterfalls. The music sheets on the piano, floating around in the wind, drenched from the excessive rain water, that soaked them. We all stood in silence underneath the shelter, as we watched Elizabeth drop down too her knees, as though her legs had finally gave up from standing too long.

I was going to run out to comfort her, when a strong pair of arms pulled me back by my shoulders, gripping them tightly. I turned my attention up towards the hands and saw none other than father glaring down at me. "No Anne, you mustn't tis pouring down and you could get catch a fever, Elizabeth shouldn't even be out there". Father said, as he motioned towards Elizabeth, who was still kneeling upon the floor clutching her bouquet of flowers. "I can see that father, but someone must go and comfort her". I sighed, as I put my hand up to grip hold of father's, who's was still holding my shoulder. "I'll go". Thomas interjected, as he smiled softly and began to walk over towards her, trying his best to use his tricorn hat to keep himself dry, only to stop in his tracks and turn his head sharply to the right.

Suddenly out of nowhere, the Royal Marines swormed the whole of the courtyard. Will was in the middle of them, surrounded as though he couldn't escape, I couldn't see quite clearly myself, as the weather was terrible, but it seemed to be, as though he was placed in shackles, but whatever for, what had he done this time, I thought to myself. Myself and Father turned to look at each other, both of us with worried expressions upon our faces, what on earth was going on I wonder. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Elizabeth leap up from her crouched position on the ground, her dress clung to her, as it was drenched through, she then proceeded to drop the flowers, within her hand and run towards the direction of the Marines. Thomas came and joined myself and Father back under the shelter, so he would be out of the way. "Will!". Elizabeth cried out, as she hurried towards him.

As Elizabeth did this, I broke away from Father and joined Elizabeth at her side, Thomas followed a little behind me. "Why is this happening?". Elizabeth asked Will, as she clutched tightly on his collar. "I don't know". Was all he replied, a sorrowful expression sprawled upon his face, as though all the happiness had gone from his life. "You look beautiful". Will continued. Upon hearing this, I crossed my arms over my chest, as I looked at Thomas and imitated being sick, as I scrunched one eye shut and then stuck out my tongue, before letting out a small chuckle, receiving a small smile from Thomas, as he bowed his head to stop himself from laughing. "I think it's bad luck for the groom too see the bride before the wedding". Elizabeth replied. Their sweet conversation was interrupted, by father pushing his way through the nosey crowd. "Make way, let me through". He bellowed, so he could get by. Only to be stopped by two Marines, placing their bayonets into a cross to prevent father from getting through. "How dare you!". Father continued. "Stand your men down at once, do you hear me?". Father shouted at the strange figure, who was standing staring out into the courtyard. I sharply glanced over to whom father was speaking too and for a moment due to looking at the back of the wig, I thought it was James, but then I released this man was too short to possibly be him.

The figure then slowly turned around, removing his rain coat, before he began speaking. "Governor Weatherby Swann, it's been too long". The man replied, in a cocky sort of tone. I looked from the figure too father. Who possibly is this man and how does he know father, I thought to myself. I motioned my head towards Thomas, who crouched down to my height, so I could speak to him. "Do you know this man?". I whispered in his ear. "No I can't say I have ever seem him before, especially since doing my training and James had never mentioned that anyone of such importance shall be visiting in his absence". Thomas replied, before straightening up his posture. I just nodded in repsonse, whilst never taking my eyes of this curious man, whom has interrupted if I dare too say it, a special day. "Cutler Beckett?". Father replied confused. I sharply turned to Thomas again, only too receive a shrug as a response. "It's Lord now actually". Beckett replied in yet again a cocky tone.