Chapter 14

//meanwhile chapter 13//

The large golden lion stood panting over the body of a wild boar he'd just successfully felled. He held back the urge to roar in victory as it was considered rude to do so on city hunting grounds – it could scare away other's pray. Not that he cared about their pray escaping, he simply preferred to hurry back to his waiting mate than deal with angry males who'd lost their game.

Ekon picked up the still warm boar in his jaws and began making his way to a water source to clean their breakfast.

On his way, he thought back to his sleeping mate who'd been all huddled up in his den. Though the hut currently didn't feel much like a den as it had been so long since he lived there, but he had no doubt that it'd be perfect for raising cubs by the time the rainy season set in. However, he'd make sure it was cozy as soon as possible simply to please his August. He could line the floors in furs, or even dig down into the earth to provide more insulation from temperatures.

An uneasy feeling settling in the pit of his stomach roused the lion from his thoughts. His pace slowed to a stop as he instead focused on finding the root of his unease. There was a slight pull for him to go in the direction of the city, but he couldn't understand why. Sure, he was looking forward to returning to August's side, however the pulling had not been present until just then.

However, his mate mark suddenly burning was all it took for the boar to drop from his mouth and for him to take off sprinting towards his mate. August was in trouble and needed him. How could he have not realized sooner?

Ekon allowed the pull to guide him as he dashed through the city gates and then passed his hut. He didn't stop to speak to anyone. He didn't question the feeling in his gut, he simply ran with all he had.

Except suddenly, both the burning of his mate mark and the pull towards August stopped.

Disorientated and unsure of what had happened, the lion released an anguished roar. Could his mate have possibly died? How else would the pull have simply disappeared? He reached inwards and felt for his connection with August. Their connection was still present, a constant tether between their entities. So why had the pull stopped? Clearly August had been in danger.

Panicked, Ekon shifted back to his beastman form. He had to confirm that his mate was still in fact amongst the living. While holding his breath, he quickly turned his arm and checked his mate's mark. It was still there. August was alive.

~

((Note: mating marks disappear when the mate passes))

~

But what was he to do now? He began pacing unsure of where to go to find his mate who had obviously just been in some form of danger.

Hearing a torrent of paws approaching from behind, Ekon slowly turned to see a city guard approaching. His brother.

"We have word that your mate was rescued by Aquil, mate of Alva and..." His brother spoke quickly with concern clear in his voice.

Ekon interrupted, "Where is August now? Is he ok? Did he get injured? Did..."

This time it was Agnar's turn to stop his brother from rambling. He placed a hand on Ekon's shoulder to calm the distressed male as he spoke, "August is with Alva and her family, resting at her home and waiting for you."

Releasing a sigh, "Thank you brother. I don't know what came over me... I was just so... so..."

"worried?" Agnar interjected with a humorless chuckle, "I do not blame you. All males fear for their mate, it is understandable."