30. Expenditure

Mulai dari awal

    She needed to release her magic. Nascha opened her eyes, already looking for Fenrys. She started towards him and ignored Elide's confused shout. Fenrys was still speaking with Lorcan up ahead, only, they both looked angry. As Nascha drew closer, she was able to make out what they were saying.

    "Things are hard enough without you judging her every move," Fenrys snapped. "I want the violence to stop as much as everyone else, but I also want what's best for Nascha."

    "Since when do you care? I thought you couldn't wait to get rid of her."

    "That was before I began to understand her. We haven't stopped to consider what we're really asking her to do. There's more to this than just proclaiming her Lady of Arcelia and going on with our lives as usual."

    "We're asking her to stop a war," Lorcan retorted.

    "Exactly!" Fenrys exclaimed. "We are asking one female to stop an entire war!"

    "Aelin was able to end a war. She was just one female."

    "She was Aelin of the Wildfire, Lorcan. She had the magic of a goddess. She had a kingdom. She had powerful allies. She had an army. She had all of us. Nascha has only herself, Aeron, me, and possibly Lysandra. She has a city. She has magic that hasn't even matured yet. It's not fair to hold her to the same standards as Aelin. Hell, sometimes it's not even fair to hold Aelin to the same standards as Aelin!"

    Lorcan stared at Fenrys in disbelief. "I think you've grown overly fond of your little night owl, Fenrys. That's why you aren't thinking clearly about all of this."

    "I'm thinking just as clearly as you are. Maybe even more so. I'm looking at different aspects and viewpoints of the situation. You're only looking at Aelin's goals."

    "That's what you should be doing too. We are blood-sworn to her."

    "We are blood-sworn to her, but we do not belong to her, and she knows that. We have the freedom to think and act for ourselves. That's something we never had with Maeve. I would have thought you'd also be taking advantage of it."

    A throbbing headache had worked its way into Nascha's temples as she struggled to make sense of what was being said. Fenrys glanced over his shoulder and caught sight of her. He shot Lorcan one last glare and hurried over to her.

    Nascha finally ceased hiding her limp. Fenrys gripped her elbow, his gaze darting to her leg. "I need to release my magic," she panted. "I don't think I can hold it back any longer." Nascha closed her eyes, gulping down shaking breaths. "Get me as far away from here as you can. I'm not sure I'll be able to control the magic once I let it out."

    "What's going on?" Lorcan asked.

    "She needs to release her magic," Fenrys answered.

    "Do I need to come along and shield the area?"

    "I don't think you need to be anywhere near us right now."

    "I'm only trying to help," came the gruff response.

    Magic was slipping through her fingers. Nascha gripped Fenrys' arm for support as her legs shook. Lorcan took a step towards them. Fenrys bared his teeth in a snarl, drawing Nascha against his chest. "Not a step closer, Lorcan, or I'll gouge your fucking eyes out."

    Lorcan barked a laugh. "Like hell you will, Pup."

    "Fenrys, now," Nascha cut in. Wind roared in her ears only a heartbeat later. Lorcan and the village disappeared as Fenrys carried them through the folds of the world.