18. Bitter Jealousy

Nascha channeled her frustrations into training and writing. She had resumed ignoring Fenrys for the past several days. He was already making plans for their trip to Arcelia and updated her regularly, though she never responded. Any hopes she had about getting along with him after that night in Orynth were completely crushed.

Nascha's blades clanged against Aeron's. She reversed one blade in her hand, whirling away from him. Aeron was hot on her trail, his sword and dagger working in perfect unison. Nascha ducked beneath his sword and caught his dagger between the forked blades of her reversed weapon.

With a sharp twist, Nascha wrenched the dagger from his hand. Lysandra whistled her approval from the railing. Nascha ignored the Lady. She'd been told that Lysandra was helping Fenrys find clothes to disguise them in Arcelia. Nascha wasn't keen on being friendly towards anyone who was helping to force her back there.

She brought her attention back to Aeron a heartbeat too late. He knocked her legs out from beneath her, bringing his sword down. Nascha crossed her blades, catching his attack. She gritted her teeth and brought her leg up between his. Aeron stumbled back with a bark of pain.

"That was a low blow," he rasped.

"Everything is fair in a fight," Nascha replied.

Elgan scoffed from beyond the fence. "If you intend to fight without honor, perhaps."

"If you had fought without honor, perhaps Adarlan never would have conquered Terrasen," Nascha said. "I would be dead by now if I'd ever tried to fight with honor." She sheathed her blades and scooped up Aeron's dagger. He took it wordlessly, still hunched over.

"You're both right," Vaughan said, joining Elgan at the fence. "It's important to fight with honor, but at the end of the day, your life and the life of your warriors are more so." Elgan inclined his head.

"How many battles have you seen?" Aeron asked, coming to stand close to them. Lysandra hopped off the fence and approached as well. Nascha kept her distance, but stood close enough to hear the conversation.

"More than I bothered to count," Vaughan answered. "And more than was necessary."

"How many of those battles were just Maeve choosing to destroy something on a whim?" Elgan crossed his arms.

Vaughan glanced at him, a warning shining in his dark eyes. "Maeve always had some sort of reason for doing what she did. They were never good or right, but they were reasons. She didn't just destroy because she felt like it. She destroyed to send messages. To punish people. To advance her influence. To increase her armies."

"Let's hope Queen Aelin doesn't take notes from her," Aeron huffed in amusement. Vaughan, Elgan, and Lysandra shot him dark glares. Aeron wisely lowered his gaze. "It was a joke."

"Not one that needs to be made again," Lysandra snapped.

"Lighten up," Nascha retorted, joining Aeron. "What kind of example are you setting when you frighten and threaten those who simply make jokes about Aelin? Are you going to protect her reputation as Maeve's was? By killing everyone who speaks against her and questions her choices?"

Lysandra stiffened, narrowing her emerald eyes. "Leaders learn by listening to their people. They exist to serve the people, not the other way around," Nascha continued. "If our leaders silence us when we speak up, then they don't deserve to lead. You should think about how your actions reflect on Aelin. Come on, Aeron." She steered the male to the other side of the training ring as several other warriors filed in.

"You didn't have to do that," Aeron murmured. "It was a stupid joke that I shouldn't have made."

"I admire loyalty, but some people take it beyond healthy limits," Nascha grumbled. "And I'm getting tired of being growled at when I say something controversial about Aelin. Why should I let you suffer the same?" Aeron smiled. "I'm sorry about kicking you."