9. Angry Games

The artwork above is not mine.

◦ ~ ❘ ☼ ❘ ~ ◦

    Aelin rose from her throne and came to stand before him. Rowan wasn't far behind. There was a disapproving glare in Rowan's pine green eyes, which Fenrys ignored. Aelin was his Queen, but she was also his friend. He would speak freely with her, as he always did.

    "I know we haven't had a chance to tell you how the trip went," Fenrys said, "but I'd think you'd be able to tell that Nascha and I don't exactly get along. And yet, you're commanding me to shadow her every footstep for the next six months? I've been struggling not to tear her throat out ever since we found her! Do you really think I'm the best person for this? She gets along with Lysandra just fine."

    Aelin grinned. "I thought you loved wild things, Fenrys. She seems wild enough to me."

    "She's not wild. She's selfish and arrogant."

    "We'll get along great, then."

    Fenrys dropped one hand to his hip and pinched the bridge of his nose with a sigh. "Can you just explain to me why you'd choose me to do this?"

    "You're the Ambassador of Terrasen. It's your duty to care for our guests and make sure they don't get into trouble while they're here."

    "I don't usually have to spend every waking minute with our guests."

    "You'll spend every non waking minute with her too."

    Fenrys blinked in disbelief. Rowan turned his face away, obviously hiding a smile. "You mean she's going to stay with me."

    Aelin nodded. "I said you will do everything with her and she won't leave your sight, so that she has no chance to leave Terrasen."

    "Tell me the real reason you're doing this. I know you have to have another reason."

    "It's your duty," Aelin replied with a shrug. Fenrys narrowed his eyes. "And I'm counting on you not getting along. We have to convince her to accept my terms. I don't think there's any hope of reaching another agreement with the Tarins. The sooner she accepts my terms, the sooner she can leave. The sooner she can leave, the sooner she can get away from you." Aelin gave him a prompting look.

    Fenrys turned her words over briefly, then smiled. "You want me to annoy her into submission."

    "Annoy. Irritate. Infuriate. Do whatever it takes. Use whatever methods you prefer. Just convince her to accept my terms."

    "Is this your way of telling me I'm annoying?"

    "It's my way of telling you that you have the ability to get under people's skin like no one else can."

    "Do you think this will work?" Rowan asked. "I'm not doubting Fenrys' ability to annoy someone. I know firsthand how skilled you are at that." Fenrys rolled his eyes. "Nascha seems very convinced that she does not want to become Lady of Arcelia. There has to be a reason why. A good one, if she's willing to risk war to avoid taking her place."

    Aelin rubbed her chin thoughtfully. "I suppose we'll just have to see. Good luck, Fenrys. Oh, and it's best if you don't give away her identity to anyone you meet. Not yet."

    Fenrys waited for further explanation, but there was none. Aelin just gazed at the floor, rubbing her fingers together thoughtfully. He took that as a dismissal and bowed his head. "If I accidentally kill her, or vice versa, you can't hold me accountable. Remember, this was your idea."