Chapter 6: Mae Kazimi

"He knows?" Avery hisses, following me around my bedroom as I quickly pack my things. "How the fuck does he know?"

"Stop swearing, Avery," I snap as I pack my bags. I have no time to think about the 'hows' and 'whens.' Tomasso's men are waiting for me outside my building, and I don't have much time to pack.

Rashid is angrily pacing my room, clumsily hitting my side table and catching the expensive glass lamp before it hits the floor, "He-he can't know! I made sure to erase every single trace of you from every single camera to possibly exist and left breadcrumbs leading the wrong way if anyone was to ever even think Shadow was you-"

"Look, I know you did your best," I say, breathing heavily as I try to close my suitcase. "I don't blame you Rashid. It must have been a mistake on my part."

Before Rashid can open his mouth, we all hear my front door slam open. Avery freezes, fingers hovering over where she hides her gun.

Kai barges into my room.

"Mae?" he whispers, eyes widening as he spots me and my packed luggage. "Mae, Hale is furious. He trashed his entire study and locked himself inside."

I run shaking fingers through my hair. For the first time, none of us know what the hell to do next. Usually, one of us always has a plan. But this time, everyone is quiet.

"It's going to be fine," I say, swallowing. Avery stands across from me, pale skin flushed with anger. "We can still meet up and talk, you know. And plus, it's only for a month."

"A lot can change in a month," Avery says.

She's right.

My phone begins to ring and Kai crosses his bulging arms over his chest as if he is ready to beat the men Tomasso sent to pulp. I give him a small smile, "Time to go."

Rashid gives me a hug before helping Kai bring my suitcases downstairs.

Avery and I are left alone in the room.

"Avery-"

She turns to me, eyes red and mouth in a thin line, "I have a horrible feeling about this, Mae."

Avery's institutions are usually right.

"It'll be fine."

She cocks her jaw before making her way to my door, "Pray that it should. Because I'm going to say 'I told you so' when shit goes down and you come to me for help."

I say nothing as she disappears out of my apartment, leaving me standing with my hands at my sides.

This was not how it was supposed to go.

______________________

It's 8 PM and I'm going insane.

Five hours ago, I moved into the Russo mansion for a month and guess what? The Russo family aren't even home!

I'm furious. I'm so angry I want to sit down and cry and scream and burn their stupid and horribly expensive paintings until they are nothing but ash.

And then I want to throw that burning ash into Tomasso's face and choke Alek with my bare hands.

And I still won't be satisfied.

I want Tomasso dead.

So, with anger coursing through my veins, I stomp outside of my room, ignoring the guards trailing me and walk blindly down the maze of hallways, pretending I know exactly where I'm going.