8: The Price You Pay

Mulai dari awal

That familiar pout of dissapointment across his lips is what said it all.

"I'll treat the Spades. But when it comes time for them to leave, you're arranging their carriage back. I refused to deal with any more paperwork besides their emergency fees." Kyle walked past me and out of the dining room, heading straight for the entrance.

"Whatever. You're as lazy as always." I snapped back. With the doctor striding straight towards the front entrance, I was in the clear. Finally, I could continue the task that I'd been so brutally sidetracked from:

Firstly, questioning Lancelot about the newly sealed envelope I'd found with Levie's paperwork.

I whirled around and strode out of the kitchen -

"JONAH!!"

I froze as Kyle's voice yelled from down the hallway.

Crap.

Stiffly, I turned around to face him, watching him stand there angrily at the other end of the corridor.

"Where do you're think your going!?"

I blinked, before glaring at him.

"To do my work." I muttered.

Kyle all of a sudden broke into amused laughter.

"HA HA HA HA!" I could tell he was making fun of me because he bent over in furious, mocking chuckles.

Then he straightened up fast, with a deadpan look on his face.

"You found them. So you're going to help me deal with them."

I wanted so badly to walk away, but I knew if I did, Kyle would never treat my still-broken arm again.

Or he would, but he'd put me through an immense amount of pain out of spite.

I sighed heavily. His evilly snide eyes showed me I had no other choice.

"God damnit." I snapped, before sauntering down the hallway towards him.

"....let's just make this quick."

--------

(20 minutes later)

Why...

Why did I have to get myself dragged into this?

"Would you stop complaining and just get me the bandages!!??"

Kyle Ashe, the medic of the Hearts Castle, was a revered doctor who, though lazy, was probably one of the best in Cradle, if not the best.

I have never, ever refuted that fact.

I turned towards him and scoffed, before residing to head to the corner of the room to grab his items from the cabinet.

But honestly, as great of a doctor as he was...

Did he really have to be so pushy all the time?

"Ray.....Hey, Ray. Over here."

I could hear the faint snapping of his fingers as the 7 of Hearts tried desperately to get the King of Spade's attention.

Ray, now finally being formally treated, had been diagnosed with a concussion and severe amnesia from head trauma. The cause of the incident was still under investigation, so while some of the Hearts troops scoured the castle grounds for clues, Kyle had the Spades' King sitting on the medic table and was trying to hold his focus so he could check his eyes.

So far though, it was proving to be a trying task.

"Blackwell, look at me." I glanced over my shoulder to watch as Kyle brought his finger up infront of Ray's eyes, but the King could hardly control his stare.