XII. Quintin

.............(Quintin)................
"Quintin!" I heard my father calling me. No!

My dad told me that my mother is gone forever! No! I won't believe it! Why would she?! I've been nothing but a good boy, but why would she leave us, me?!

I ran away for I don't know where. All I did was cry that mom would be gone for life--- that she left me without even saying goodbye.

It hurts; it hurts.

It stopped me when I heard sobs just in the back of the tree I was leaning in.

"Who's there?" I asked.

"Who are you too?" I heard a cracked voice.

I teleported in front of that person.

"Why are you crying?" Is he crying for the same reason as mine?

"My father passed away." He said that between sobs. "He's leaving us for good this time." I tapped his shoulder. He accepted that his father would never return, but I, on the other hand... still want to believe otherwise.

After that day, we found comfort in each other and became best friends. Avitrin Woods became our playground and as well as our meeting place.

Shaun and Caleb became my friends after that. They know that up until now, I believed that my mother was alive. I know it's crazy talk.

I had the same old routine every day, but one day, when I decided to go to M.U High with Shaun and Caleb for some meeting being held every month, for M.U High and L.Q High are called 'sister schools.'

Then that very same day, I met a girl who dared to punch me. I know it's weird for me not to get mad at her, but what can I say? She's fascinating. She has unexpected traits that caught me wanting to know her more.

I never expected to know her or them better.

About that pageant, I'm okay with whether to join or not, and that's one way for both Chelsea and me to get closer.

The day I didn't go to practice was when my father and I went to the cemetery. We came to visit my older brother Xairon, and it's his death anniversary. He was still in mom's womb when he died, and it's such a shame I didn't get to meet him.

"Quintin," father called. We're still here sitting in the grasses, and I find the breeze very calming.

"When will you accept that your mother is gone?" I looked at dad, and he's seriously starting this topic now?!

"Dad, I know mom's alive. I have proof—-"

"About your mother's Blike is not something to be called proof, Quintin!" Dad cut me off.

"But the legends say that—-"

"You know better than that! Legends... are just that—legends!" He stood up.

"Stop that silly research you're doing. Do you think I wouldn't know that you've been using up many of the research team's things?!" His voice became high this time around.

"But dad, it's important!"

"You will listen to me! You're going to stop; end of discussion!" He shouted and went ahead first.

I know for a fact that L.Q High—no, my dad's reason for not having Blikes is because of mom. I know it.

That same night I found my research burned into ashes.

Is this a sign that I should accept?

Those few days, I've been exhausted and bothered. But thanks to Chelsea and the others, my mood returned to who I was.

It's hilarious how that certain someone can change my day just by hearing her voice.

That one glimpse of her smile can make me smile, no doubt. 

While we were practicing for the pageant one day, Caleb sensed that they'd be a thunderstorm.

"What's love, in your perspective?" Chelsea questioned in her turn in our game.

"True love is the one that's unconditional," I answered. Unconditional love is as equivalent to a mother's love.

Thanks to Chelsea, too, the burden I'm carrying is less heavy.

Since I met her, my day isn't as gloomy as before. I thank it all to her.

When we went to the beach with them, this man who helped Chelsea and the woman his with looked pretty familiar. I've seen them somewhere. I can't recall. 

I didn't know Chelsea was afraid of the dark, and I was glad that I was there by her side that night.

When I went home, I didn't know what to feel. My Christmas couldn't be sadder than this. It's been many Christmas that it was just father and me. But before we manage to make the Christmas merry for us. But now... My father and I seemed to be at the north pole for Christmas. Cold and very distant.

"Son," I looked at dad when he called me. It's been a while since he called me son.

"I'm sorry. I don't want you to get hurt again when you know the truth." Dad explained.

"I'm sorry too, dad. I was being hardheaded." I then chuckled; I heard him laugh too.

"Enough with the sorry party, let's go buy some presents!" Dad exclaimed and went to get the car keys as I went to get my credit card. Dad gives my allowance to my credit card, so it means I pay for my expenses.

We went to the mall, and as evident, dad and I chose everything we wanted without having second thoughts. That's how we shop, and we don't want to waste time figuring out what to get for them. But you know what, it took me a lot of time to look for a perfect gift for Chelsea, but I ended up with a moon-shaped necklace. She's the one I got in the exchange gift, after all. It would look stunning at her, for sure. It's not that expensive too, for its quality.

When Christmas came, dad and I went to play video games, tried cooking, opened gifts, and went for a movie marathon all night. It was a blast!

As always, Dad and I would go together back to school. I didn't expect that they would buy me gifts too. I always buy gifts for Shaun and Caleb, and I added them too.

That night I came to open my gifts. I didn't know what came over me, but I saved Chelsea's gift last. Well, save the last for the best, I guess.

I got unexpected gifts from them, and they made me pretty happy.

I've got a cat pillow from Chelsea. I chuckled; I remembered when I said that "I always land on my feet," Cats always land on their feet; that must be it.

A flower? Mmm.

You're strong, and I know you'll get through anything.

Thank you. I became stronger because of your help too.

You gave me the strength to face my everyday.

———————MissKjj07——————-11/19/21