Chapter Forty-Three: Clearing The Atmosphere, Making Nachos

Start from the beginning

But I wanted my dad that day. And I only got him when I had gotten hurt. 

I didn't want to forgive and forget, but I wanted him to... call me son again. 

"How's the business?" I asked at the same time he asked me how school was. 

"You go first," He said. 

I shifted, "Well," I said, "It's uh, school." I laughed, "I don't really have the best grades but I'm not... failing."

I was greeted with a look of disappointment, but he chose not to verbally comment on it. "How are your friends?" 

I squirmed uncomfortably, "Brian is good. He's got a girlfriend. Major simp over her, you have no idea." 

He leaned forward, "And Nathaniel?" 

I shrugged. I didn't want to tell him Nathaniel and I were together. Not because I was ashamed of it, but because... how would he even react? This wasn't some random rich kid, this was the kid of a family that owned a company that sponsored - or used to sponsor - he business. I felt on edge, simply because I would be guilt ridden if he had asked me to... I'm not sure, ask for benefits or assumed some because of our relationship. 

Albeit, week old relationship. 

"He's good." 

The topic shifted to his company, he talked for a bit on how they were testing some new model courses and technology they were investing in. I had no idea what that meant, but I still bothered to nod my head as I took a sip of my apple juice and tried to look interested. 

"And, it's actually kinda funny. One of the bigger, buyer companies got word of the time you crashed the car," He explained, "They found the durability and endurance of the car to be impressing and they actually asked me about it." He grinned, "They're interested." 

I leaned back, staring at the apple juice. 

The world had a funny way of working. 

It was like everything always came around full circle. 

I grinned, "So is there a thank you being issued to yours truly? Ya know, I had to make the very thoughtful, executive decision to crash that car into the shed..." 

He laughed, "Don't push it kid," He joked. 

I glanced down at my hand, wondering why he couldn't be like this all the time. Why he couldn't have been like this the night I stopped by. 

~~~

We had spent the rest of the morning eating and talking and by the end of it, things felt lighter fucking for once. 

I wasn't walking on eggshells. My dad offered me my room back, but I told him I wasn't sure how great of an idea that was. He agreed when I explained and then he offered me to come get the stuff in my room whenever I wanted. 

We weren't completely on good terms. And we probably never be completely healed with eachother, both still slightly tense and disagreeing on multiple things. 

But things were better and I drove to Nathaniel's house with a grin. 

David greeted me at the door. I felt like he knew he me, but he also didn't and I liked that. 

"Hello Cole," He smiled, opening the door wider. 

"Dave! How are you?" 

Sure I wasn't perfect. I flinched when someone I didn't know raised their hands in front of me. Small spaces and bathrooms were difficult to be in for too long and I still found myself awake a night. But things were better than they'd been for awhile and there was nothing more relieving than seeing Nathaniel and hugging him tightly and - for once - not be falling apart.