CAPITOLO SESSANTOTTO- Judgement Day

Start from the beginning

One by one, they all venture into her room. Gabriel strides over to her bed and gently lays Cienna down before tucking her in. Cataleya smiles as she watches him plant a soft kiss on Cienna's forehead. Behind them, Rheah takes the time to gaze around her room, relishing in the familiarity of it all. The tan walls with black and white portraits of herself, her family and a few landscape photos she had taken herself. The crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceilings. She runs her hands gently across the arm of her crushed velvet sofa and takes in the familiar scent of vanilla, fresh linen and Cienna that encapsulated her room.

She instantly felt lighter with happiness and ease now that she was within her space.

She really missed being home.

Her small moment of bliss dissipates when Gabriel eventually diverts his focus back onto her and Cataleya who was already peering at him with nervous anticipation. Silently, he walks past them and exits Rheah's room, motioning with his hand for them to follow him.

"Where are we going now?" Rheah dares to break the silence.

Gabriel halts and turns to her. His voice was flat, void of all emotion when he answers, "To see Papa."

Those three words felt like weights chained onto the hearts of the sisters. From the moment they had heard about his condition and despite their guilt in regards to it, they had been eager to return to their father. It felt like the right thing to do but were unable to do so urgently, given the hostage situation they were in.

But the thought of seeing him laid and plugged up, dependant on numerous wires, machines, needles and IV bags to keep him alive was not a sight they were ready to see. If their emotions weren't eating them alive as it was, they knew seeing the strong, mighty, seemingly invincible Antonio Giovanni now in his most frail and helpless state was going to send them over the edge.

The pair share a glance, each noticing the terrified and nervous emotions in each other's eyes before looking back towards Gabriel who was already on the move. Not wanting to leave him waiting, the sisters follow suit.  As the siblings retraced their steps out of Rheah's wing of the house, they took a few right turns heading east towards their father's wing. Every step they took drawing nearer to his room felt heavier than the last as storm surges of emotions sweep over the girls. They could hear their hearts pounding in their chests as they spot the chestnut door of their father's room at the end of the large corridor. Gulping, Rheah and Cataleya try to prepare themselves for whatever they were about to witness.

This was it. Almost a year later and they were finally going to see their father.

They did not expect to see the door suddenly open, causing them to stop in their tracks and watch confused as a porter and a few nurses walk out, rolling out the life support machine.

"W-what?" Rheah gasps in confused astonishment. Her heart had already crashed to her stomach while a wide eyed and silent Cataleya stares in fear at the puzzling sight in front of her.

The nurses and porters give a nod of acknowledgment to Gabriel and the women as they continue to wheel the machine past them. Soon, a few more staff emerge from the room, chatting quietly amongst themselves as they clean out the room and wheel out the bed their father was once laying in.

Cataleya, still wide eyed, stares at the scene playing out in front of her before her eyes land on her brother. She shakes her head violently with panic. "No no no Gabriel! Was that Papa's bed?!"

Gabriel watches her, mute.

Cataleya's question draws Rheah out of her own disturbing thoughts and she shifts her attention onto her silent brother.