F R I E N D S | HEERINA

Karina arrived in her seat just before the bell rang

Karina arrived in her seat just before the bell rang. She surveyed the room for Luke, and, of course, he wasn't there. The class was talking in quiet whispers and she turned to face Heeseung, who was mid-yawn.

"Hee," she said tiredly. He heard the strain of her voice and whipped his head to look at her.

"Jesus, Rina, you look like shit."

"Well, aren't you my knight in armor?" Karina groaned sarcastically, Heeseung chuckled before becoming serious.

He leaned in closer to her and examined her face. "Hey, have you been crying?" He asked quietly, bringing his hand up to Karina's face and stroking her cheek.

"A beautiful girl like you shouldn't be crying. Who's the asshole? I'll knock him out for you."

Karina laughed lightly, trying to ease the mood. "That won't be necessary, Mr. Superman. It's not a big deal, trust me. See, I'm all good now." She smiled widely, showing her teeth, making it obvious that her smile was fake.

"Any person that makes you cry is a big deal. I'm here for you, please know that. You can tell me anything."

Karina took a deep breath, knowing that Heeseung wouldn't let this go. "Please promise that you won't go beat him up?"

"No promises."

Karina shot him a glare as he raised both hands in defense. She sighed heavily.
"Luke told me to meet him somewhere last night and he never came. He blew me off."

Heeseung's face twisted in rage and his eyebrows knitted together. "Please tell me you're lying. That little--"

"Mr. Lee, is there something you'd like to share with the class?"
Mr. Choi asked loudly, causing Heeseung and Karina to jump in their seats.

"No, sir," Heeseung answered, sinking further into his seat. The class snickered and Karina saw Mr. Choi grin smugly in triumph.
"Pay attention please, before I fail you again. Anyway, can one partner from each group come forward with their peoject?" Karina reluctantly headed to the front of the room to hand Mr. Choi their paper, even though her paper wasn't here.

Heeseung was waiting for Karina with his elbows rested on his knees. "Are you sure I can't beat his ass? I would love to teact that mother--"

"Yes, I'm sure. He doesn't deserve that. Maybe something came up and he couldn't make it? I'm sure there's a perfect explanation for why he didn't show up."

Heeseung sighed, lookingup at her as he bowed his head down to look at the floor. "Rina, I hate to be the one to tell you this but..."

"But what?" Karina asked cautiosly, bracing herself for whatever news Heeseung was about to say.

Heeseung scratched his head awkwardly. "Luke blew you off because he was on a date yesterday."