CHAPTER 34 - To The Divine, Mysterious Spark

Take Me To Church - Hozier

October 10th 2024

GOTHAM CITY

The perception of time is a thing that has puzzled many for generations.

For example, in the time that it took Bridgette's foot to reach the final step on the dark staircase, illuminated only by small bulbs hanging from above Damian was struggling to maintain an even pattern of breaths. Feeling as though he had been descending for hours. His parched lungs protesting each step.

Admittedly Damian holds no knowledge about what in the seven levels of hell they are about to walk into. Therefore, his body remains tense, muscles coiled, eyes vigilant for any sign of danger.

Bridgette continues to withhold the nature of this outing. Her mouth curved in a secretive smile would remain akin to the door behind them – sealed shut not allowing any secrets to escape.

Without the comforting tether of Bridgette's arm wrapped snugly within the grasp of his own, Damian finds himself drawing closer to her body. Too proud to make the first move Damian settles for keeping near with silent and deadly precision.

A wooden doorway with intricate images of demonic faces and bodies carved into the dark coloured wood greets Damian when his own polished shoes meet the end of the stair. Entranced his eyes greedily admire the smooth finish of the doorway and the images and figures now forever embedded in time.

Taking the lead as she has done this whole time, Bridgette saunters through the doorway into the darkness hiding God knows what. Stopping once to turn and beacon him Bridgette disappears into the shadows, they hide her as if she was born from them. Swallowing harshly Damian's body moves with a mind of its own as it follows her wordlessly, her body hypnotising his own polluting his brain with bursts of pink and flecks of gold.

It follows her like a dog obeying the commands of its master.

Breath is held in a cradling embrace when Damian passes the threshold. Ribbons eclipsed within the perpetual darkness brush past his shoulders and coil around his neck. Not permitting the momentary spike of fear to affect his even steps Damian brushes off the tendrils and pushes forward.

A light illuminates the end of a corridor where it cuts off the straight and into a sharp turn.

Curls, bouncy and bright are the first things to crawl their way into Damian's returning vision. They bristle and overlap one another when Bridgette turns the corner and heads along towards the location still shrouded in mystery.

Mirroring her down to the very spacing and placement of her feet, Damian rounds the corner where despite the new illuminated space his questions remain stirring a vicious storm in the pit of his stomach.

"Come on angry boy we're almost there," Bridgette calls out her voice bouncing off the walls that are soaked in the blood of night. Dark and unforgiving the echo resonates into his ear until all that fills him is the breathy sound of her voice.

It fills him with a disturbing warmth, yet Damian discovers himself not hating the sensation.

Not needing to be told twice Damian picks up the pace of his steps and catches up to Bridgette. Now at her side Damian revels in the heat her body emits and enjoys the soft glow of her pale skin as the light from the now visible room bleeds onto the slopes of her face.

"Welcome to 'Cirque Voyeuse' where we allow ones inner artist and performer to explore new depths, please step forward and we will get you checked in," a feminine voice calls out from the space in front twinged with a French accent. Momentarily Damian freezes and his muscles stiffen at the name of the event that they have just entered.