CHAPTER 22 - All Is Fair in Love and War

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) - ABBA

September 15th 2024

ENIGMA

Damian's heated breath fans back into his face as he makes his way into the club.

After trailing defeatedly back to his brothers, having spent his afternoon chasing after Dupain-Cheng, they had all jumped into the car and headed for Enigma. In the time that Damian had spent driving in circles Drake had mapped out the fastest route to Enigma.

Rather fortunately they only needed to stop once to refill petrol. Thankfully there were no more disturbances this time.

A gathering of sweaty bodies that grind up against one another is the view that overtakes Damian's sights. The way in which they bond together gives Damian the impression that they are literally trying to infuse themselves with one another.

Blurs of skin and fabric fly past him as they rush for more drinks. As if on que the smell of sweet alcohol reaches his nostrils. He resists the urge to gag as the rancid smell of sweat and fruit mixes together.

He shudders and instantly wants to leave.

Being around this many people who clearly have no consideration for personal space was not something Damian was at all keen on.

The music was deafening, it sounded like multiple car alarms going off at once. Or perhaps it was someone repeatedly smashing their head against a loud buzzer. Damian grimaces as the blearing beat settles in his ear-drums. The heat from multiple bodies encases him as the condensation grows. He gazes back at the entrance door longingly for a moment wishing nothing more than to return to the cool outdoor air.

By sheer luck they make it to an empty spot on the wall that miraculously fits all three of them. Damian's eyes flutter over the club goers, attempting to find a head of raven or eyes of sapphire blue.

Drake and Todd share Damian's idea and are also scanning the crowd for anyone that doesn't fit. From their cramped spot up against a bright wall they have a view of one side of the bar that sits in the middle of the club in addition to a couple of the small alcoves that cut off and lead to other large dance rooms.

Then unexpectedly yet pleasingly his eyes meet Dupain-Cheng's.

The only one standing still in a waving sea of bodies.

She smiles close-lipped at him while her eyes sparkle under the LED lights. Dupain-Cheng is sans her wide-brimmed hat tonight. She must have found the time to tie her hair up in two braids that end above her shoulders.

Raising a hand she waves at him with a flutter of her fingers, her body never moving or being brushed away by the violent waves of dancers as they disperse around the flashing floor.

He turns to his brothers to tell them that he has spotted her. Yet before he gets a chance he is pushed into the throng of eager people as a more upbeat song begins to echo around the club.

Damian curses and glares at his brothers more specifically Todd who only winks at him in response. The breaths get hotter on his neck as more unwanted hands find themselves brushing past his still form. As he takes a determined step back in the direction of his brothers whose time on earth was now limited a hand grabs onto his wrist and he is yanked deeper into the sea of sweaty bodies.

Feet move automatically to keep up with the moving crowd as he stops himself from stumbling and being trampled on. He spins with everyone else and has to grit his teeth to stop himself from getting dizzy.

The blinding lights slash through Damian's vision as he blinks like crazy to get himself back in focus. Blues and pinks pulsate rhythmically with the beat of the music as the bodies that move as one organism begin to jump and scream along to the words.