3| 𝚃𝚠𝚘 𝚈𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝙻𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛

Ella's POV
Age: 10
Location: Base
TW: implied SA

I've been here two years. Things still seem the same, but I know I've changed.

I'm emotionless, yet always angry. I can fight pretty well and I never get into trouble anymore.

Over the past year I've felt my hope slowly dwindle into nothing. I know that my parents will never come.

What would they think of me if they saw me now? I'm not the same. I have scars all over me. I have blood on my hands. I've killed, tortured, so many. When I close my eyes I can see their lifeless bodies and hear their screams of agony.

I feel like a robot. I don't feel alive, I haven't for quite some time. I've seen so many of my fellow spies disappear and never come back.

Most of the kids that were here when I arrived are gone now. There were 40 when I came. Now only 18 of is remain.

I've gotten close to some of the kids. Number 12 and 44 are my friends. So is Number 46, and the little girl who visited me in my cell, Number 32.

Sometimes during our tutoring sessions, I tell them about the outside world. I tell them about the sun and the sky. I tell them about birds and parks, playgrounds and picnics. None of them had ever seen the sun before.

I try to tell them everything I can remember, but sometimes I forget that the things that are normal for me is completely foreign to them. Hell, they didn't even know what Christmas was until I told them.

The five of us started our own little family. We refuse to call each other by numbers now. I helped all of them choose their names.

Now Number 12 is Blue, since she loves that color. Number 44 is Warrior, since he's toughest out of all of us. We shortened his name to 'Rio' though. Number 46 is Lucky, since he always seems to get out of dangerous situations by luck, and Number 32 is Dove.

I named her that.

When we started getting closer, she would tell me about a recurring dream she has. Every night there's a 'smiling woman with golden hair and blue eyes and a man with brown hair and brown eyes'. These people gave her unwavering hope.

Since a dove represents hope, I found the name fitting.

In our makeshift family I'm the eldest. It was weird at first since back home I was the youngest, but I don't mind it. There are some moment though where I miss being able to look at someone for all the answers.

TW START TO END OF CHAPTER

I felt this way the day Blue came running to me crying about how Sir shot one of the other kids during training.

Or the day my little sisters were carried back into their cells straight from the punishment room with blood on their backs from the whip an blood streaming from in between their legs.

That was the day he truly broke me. I felt like I had failed them. As a sister, as a friend. I couldn't protect them. I couldn't save them.

After the incident it kept happening, and I still couldn't do anything. Dove and Blue, they acted like it was nothing. But I heard them waking up in the middle of the night crying and whimpering.

He never did it to me though. He always did it to them, but never me.

If I had the chance, I would sacrifice my innocence to save theirs.