⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜

I sat on the living room couch, a cold drink in one hand and the remote in the other. After all this house work, a nigga was beat. I searching for something good to watch, when Max came in through the back door.

"You look how I feel." I said. She came and sat on the other side of the couch, putting her feet up on my lap.

"Gee thanks. What are you watching?"

"I don't know, some movie.

"Hmm. I'm so tired. I need a vacation from the vacation."

I slightly laughed, but somewhere off in the distance I heard a scuffle sound. I think Max heard it too, cause she turned around.

"What was that?"

"...I don't know. Probably one of the boys."

I had this skeptic feeling, but it went away when Max maneuvered herself on my lap. She had her arms around my neck as she straddled me.

"So how does it feel to finally be home?"

"Fantastic. After fourteen years, I been dreaming about this moment."

She planted her lips on mine, while I held onto her lower back, tossing the remote aside. She massaged her fingers through my locks, and things started getting heated real quick. That night in my mother's shed won't be shit compared to right now. Fourteen years of not being able to even touch my wife, and I was ready to let it all out and possibly get her pregnant again. But then the phone started ringing, for the fifth time today, and she tried to break away.

"Don't answer it..." I commanded. I tugged at her shirt, but was hesitant.

"But what if it's important?"

"Trust me, this is much more important."

I took off my shirt and she ignored the constant ringing. I'm surprised the boys didn't answer it, but then again I'm not surprised. The phone has rang all damn day, and whenever one of us picks it up to answer, the caller doesn't respond. All that could be heard is their light breathing, and maybe a clicking sound. We hang up after calling out three times, but this person has been persistent and I'm thinking about calling the police. But not for an hour or so.

I had lifted Max's shirt over her head, so she only had on her bra. She unzipped my pants and started playing in my boxers. I was about to do the same with her, but the phone started to ring again. We both became frustrated, and I finally decided I would end this by seeing who was playing on my phone, like they pay the bill. However, I relaxed when I realized who was on the other line. I quickly fixed my clothes, but it wasn't like she could see.

"Ray?"

"Mom? Hey, why you calling so late, isn't it-"

She started to sob, and I freaked out because I haven't really heard my mother cry the way she did. She sounded hurt, when usually she cries tears of joy.

"Mom, what's wrong?"

Max came over and leaned against my shoulder, trying to hear the conversation. She could probably hear the unsettledness in my voice.

"It's your father..." she uttered through her tears.

"What about him, what happened?"

"...He died, Ray."

My body went numb for a minute. my chest started to hurt and it became a little hard to breathe.

"When?"

"Last night, around two or three in the morning." Her crying stopped but she was sniffing like crazy.

I didn't really say anything.

"What happened?" Max asked, pulling her shirt over her head.

"...Ray?"

"Huh?"

"I was wondering if you, Max and the boys would be able to make it to the funeral in a week."

I took a deep breath.

"Yeah, I think we can do that."

"Okay, good. I'll take care of everything, so you don't have to worry."

"You sure, cause I ca-"

"Yes, I'm sure. I just need to see my family."

"I understand. Look ma, I'll call you back okay?"

"Okay. I love you Ray."

"Love you too, ma."

I hung up and looked at a puzzled Max.

"Baby, what happened?"

I pressed my back against the counter, cause it felt like my legs would give out any minute. My father and I had our falling outs for a whole chunk of my life, but we were just starting to see eye to eye. It didn't really make sense.

But then again, since when did death make sense...?

"That was my mom. She called to tell me my father just died."

Max covered her mouth in shock.

"Oh my god, h-how did he die?!"

"She didn't say, but she's already planning the funeral to be sometime next week."

"Ray, I'm so sorry."

She hugged me, burying her head into my chest. I wasn't on the verge of breaking down, but I also wasn't in a content mood.

"How are we gonna tell the boys?"

"We should probably wait until after New Year's."

"Good idea."

Eh, I was gonna write more but I changed my mind.