Chapter XXXVIII: Back to Reality

I looked up quickly, I was outside. Elijah standing right in front of me. He was staring at me like he didn't know if I was really there. My hand moved up to grip my head, it felt like someone had shoved me into a literal new reality. What the hell mom?

"Astin...Is that really you?" Elijah questioned, moving closer to me, his eyes were glassy. Like he was either crying or tearing up. "Are you-Are you really here?" He asked, dropping to his knees roughly in front of me. I didn't dare look away from him as he raised his hand, hesitantly touching my cheek. A gasp leaving my lips at the warmth of his hand touching me. Within seconds I was pulled into him, arms around me tightly as if he was afraid I would fade away. "You- it's been two months since the younger Gilbert last saw you- You were just gone." He whispered. His hand moving to the back of my head, stroking my hair softly. I could feel a tear land on my cheek. I pulled back some, looking at him. "I-I thought you- We thought you were gone." He whispered. I reached out, placing my hand on his cheek gently. He leaned into my hand.

"I'm really here, Elijah." I spoke to him softly. He made a noise between a sigh and a gasp, leaning in and pressing his lips to mine in a quick haste. I smiled, moving my lips with his before pulling away. "I want to do this right now, I do. But we have a lot to discuss. Where is everyone? Where am I?" I questioned, as he nodded, helping me to stand up. I glanced around, "The Lockwood House?" I questioned.

"Yes- We haven't left in fear you'd come back and we'd miss it.. Jeremy is inside. Klaus is around here somewhere, went on a run I believe. Finn and Kol are with Freya trying to find someway to get you back-" He pulled me to him, hugging me. "I can't believe you're back." Elijah whispered into my hair. I smiled up at him and kissed his chin.

"Come on, let's go see the others." I told him, which made him huff.

"I was enjoying keeping you to myself. But alright. I believe Klaus will be back soon." He told me, making me laugh slightly. We walked into the house quietly. Jeremy was sitting on the couch when we came in, his eyes snapping up to see me.

"Hilda!" He exclaimed, getting up and running to me. He pulled me to him in a hug, causing a slight growl to leave Elijah. "Wait-He can see you? You're alive?! How-What- Okay." He breathed, pulling away from me to stop Elijah from his growling. I laughed. "Where the hell have you been? I've been waiting for you to return- And now you're just here? What happened?"

"I'll explain once everyone is up. What time is it?" I asked, looking around for some clock.

"Um- a little pass midnight. I can go wake everyone. I am not waiting for morning." Jeremy said, making me laugh at his excitement. He ran off to gather everyone while Elijah grabbed my hand and pulled me to the couch to sit.

"You must be tired, Astin." I looked at him odd.

"I'm actually feeling great... like reenergized. I feel like I could run a couple miles right now." Elijah raised an eyebrow at me, about to say something else, but people gathered at the door.

"Why am I up at-" Kol started, before freezing. His eyes on me. Finn was also staring at me, but more confused. Hayley, Rebekah and Freya entered the room as well. Hayley had grown much bigger, being about 4 and a half months along now. Her hands resting on her stomach. My eyes looked at her belly, taking a deep breath. "Hilda?" Kol spoke first. Jeremy bounded past them and sat next to me, acting like an excited kid on Christmas morning.

"Hey Kol." I greeted him, moving my eyes to Finn. "Hello Finn." Both vampires flashed to me, Finn falling to his knees and pushing to sit between my legs on the floor, hugging me tightly. Kol was sat on the other side of me, trying to pull me away from Finn.

"How are you here?" Finn asked as Kol asked, "Where the hell did you go?!"

"I was on the other side." I told them, making Jeremy looked at me confused. "In my defense, I was only there for like an hour I thought." I said as Finn and Kol pulled away from me.

"Time runs different on the other side." Freya said, walking over to us. Danial popped up next to Rebekah as they both came and sat on a couch together.

"Hayley.." I started, standing up as she made her way over to me. My eyes on her swollen belly.

"We can transfer the baby back to you.. It's still small enough to cause no harm." Freya told me. I smiled, letting out a breathy laugh.

"Can I-" Hayley smiled, grabbing my hand and placing it on her belly. I could hear the baby's heartbeat. It was strong and fast. Tears pushed to the edge of my eyes. "Oh my god." I whispered. My eyes closing as I felt what seemed to be the baby moving around.

"They are very active. I'll be glad to finally sleep without heart burn or interruption." Hayley laughed. I let out a soft laugh.

"Hilda?" I snapped my eyes open to spot Klaus standing in the doorway. His blue-green eyes wide. I smiled at him. He sped over to me, tackling me to the ground.

"Nik! Don't kill the poor girl!" Rebekah snapped with a laugh at the end. I laughed as Klaus shoved his nose into my neck, sniffing and nudging it until he froze. Pulling away from me confused.

"Something is different. Why do you smell different?" My heart dropped at this.