'give me space'

My eyes widen and I break out in tears. "No!" I scream, feeling my heart break into a thousand pieces.

In an attempt to calm me down, Dolion places his hand on my back and moves it in circles.

I sit up straight and give him a serious stare. "Explain everything that happened to me."

He takes a deep breath and sits down on the floor. Dolion picks up one of the stones that are lying on the floor and rubs it between his fingers. After a minute, he turns his gaze back to me and begins to speak.

"Mallory and I walked to a lake to get clean and eat something. I even caught her a fish." He flashes a proud smile.

I sit down and his slight smile quickly changes into a frustrated lip bite.

"When we were done, we headed back to our hiding place when two royal guards appeared out of nowhere," he explains, throwing the stone against the cell door.

"Continue the story," I urge as I stare at him.

"They attacked us. They took me first, but when Mallory tried to fight back, they pushed me aside and grabbed her. I did everything I could to fight for her, but she yelled at me to leave. I couldn't. I wanted to help her." His voice begins to tremble. I grab his shoulder as his eyes well up with tears.

"I'm sorry, Mavia! I tried to save her. I even offered my life in exchange for hers, but they were far too powerful and fast for me," Dolion says while looking at me.

"This isn't your fault! "You did everything you could to save her," I try to reassure him.

"I'll never forgive myself for failing to save her! I loved her." He averts his gaze.

For a brief moment, I just stare at him, my eyes so watery that I can't see anything. My chest feels heavy and Dolion notices that I find it hard to breathe.

"She told me to keep you safe," he says as he wraps his arms around me.

I'm uncomfortable with him hugging me, but I let him because I know how painful it is to watch someone you love die.

"But why didn't they kill you?" I inquire.

"I don't know, they probably want to torture me or get answers out of me. Luckily, I was able to hide your mother's diary in the woods," he says proudly.

I slowly break free from his embrace and feel my pounding head.

"Did they do it quickly?" I ask.

He shakes his head.

The thought that Mallory had to suffer makes anger boil up inside me. I quickly get up and walk to the cell door.

"I want to talk to the fucking queen right now!" I punch and kick the cell door.

"Take me to Dabria right now! You fucking bloodsuckers," I yell.

I'm so angry and hurt that I don't care about any consequences, because the only thing worth living for is gone, and Dabria took it from me.

I let myself fall to the ground after a few minutes of screaming and punching against the cell door. I'm exhausted and my eyes are burning from the tears.