'No way out'

"But most important, Cupcake.." the queen leans over to me and whispers in my ear.

"I can smell that you are human."

My world stops for a moment, my eyes widen and I stare at a tree behind her, not knowing what to do or say. I'm scared to move a muscle because her head is still next to mine. She chuckles, and it seems like she is enjoying my fear.

"If you only knew how delicious you smell right now," she purrs.

Fuck, My body starts to shake. I think I've never been so scared in my life.

Dabria moves away from my face and stands in front of me again. She is much taller than me and I have to look up to look her in the eyes. I know you're not supposed to look the queen directly in the eyes, but screw her rules! I will not submit to her.

I give her a disgusted look and her eyes darken, but I don't look away.

I want to look strong so she doesn't think I'm weak and that she can scare me, but she just grins wider and crosses her arms.

My mother's diary said that vampires can smell fear. Of course, these beasts can. The hunt and the smell of human fear put them into intoxication, so it is more fun for them to drink our blood.

"Tell me, why can't my guards smell that you're a human?" she asks.

"So you're actually so dumb to think I'm going to tell you?" I answer.

"You will answer me, you'll see," she smirks.

"Fuck off!" I shout at her.

She suddenly reaches her hand towards me and out of reflex, I grab an arrow and ram it into the queen's shoulder. She is startled for a moment, which causes her to reflexively let go of me and grab the arrow.

I seize the chance and run away as fast as I can. Even though I know that in a few seconds I will feel the hands of the bloodsucker on my body, but I will not give up! I must fight for Mallory. For a better life!

I look around trying to find a hiding spot, but after a few meters, Sylvia, the other guard who was with Anissa, suddenly appears in front of me. She doesn't seem to be happy about how I dealt with her queen.

"I knew you were a piece of shit!" she snarls.

Her breathing is loud and heavy and her eyes are glowing with anger. I start running to the left but she tries to grab me as suddenly a loud "No!" sounds behind me.

Sylvia stops immediately and so do I.

I aim my bow at the guard. But she bows and retreats at a fast pace. I look around confused.

Behind me, I hear the cracking of small branches and the sound of fresh leaves being trampled flat.

My instinct is to start running, but I have no chance of escaping. I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

After a few seconds, I turn around, and in front of me stands Dabria. Her eyes are filled with rage, they seem so much darker than usual, and something inside me tells me that she is furious.