'The attack'

I suddenly feel dizzy. The human blood, the constant fear, and all the worries, the whole situation is too much for me. I take a deep breath and try to calm down as I walk into the palace again.

Mavia's POV:

Dabria led us into a large room that looks like an office. In the middle is a wide desk made of solid dark wood. One wall is completely covered with books, the other wall is painted in a soft cream color. Golden decorations run along the wall and the floor is decorated with a blue and white Persian rug.

Anissa pokes me in the side. "Hey, remember the rules? Don't speak unless the queen tells you to," she whispers.

I nod and take a deep breath.

Dabria stands behind her desk, hands propped on the wide wooden surface, eyes lowered to a sheet of paper.

"Step closer!" she commands.

Anissa and I step closer to the queen so that we are now standing in front of her desk.

Her attention remains focused on the sheet of paper in front of her. This moment of silence makes my heart beat faster.

"We have discovered a camp of the attackers." Her strong voice breaks the silence and I immediately get goosebumps.

Dabria looks up at us. For a brief moment, I look into her eyes and startle. I quickly lower my gaze and blush.

She noticed that and smirks.

"We will attack today." The queen steps out from behind her desk and stops behind our backs.

My breath catches in my throat.

"Here's some information," the queen says and continues walking. The clicking sounds of her black high heels make me wince with each step.

"The attackers are vampires, they want to overthrow the throne and they have attacked twice so far."

Dabria is now back behind her desk.

"Oh! I almost forgot the most important part." Dabria looks at us and laughs. "They call themselves the Blood avengers."

"What, seriously? That's so lame!" I laugh.

Anissa gasps. I stifle my laughter right away as I realize again where I am right now.

"Sorry," I whisper, staring at the floor.

The Queen approaches me. "It is indeed lame," she says, stopping a few centimeters in front of me. Her eyes examine me up and down as if she wants to memorize every fiber of my body.

A shiver runs down my spine. God, I hate the feeling she gives me. I don't want to feel weak.

Dabria lets out a short laugh. "We're leaving in 15 minutes," she says.

Anissa and I bow and leave the room to get ready.

"Man, do you have a guardian angel or something?" Anissa asks me while shaking her head.

I look at her and give her a soft smile. "Probably Two."

***