8

Lani

"This place is literally a winter wonderland." Mother fantasized about the north pole. I couldn't blame her, it was absolutely beautiful. It even had beautiful people.

I gulp, think of Mary. Beautiful Mary.

"Welcome. Come in!" Ivy opens the door wide open as she greets us. We all take a step in and remove our shoes.

"Hello everyone, i'm ivy!" Ivy smiles widely. All I wanted to do was smack it off her. The way she treated Mary has still been glued to my mind. It'll never leave.

I'll never forget the pain in Mary's eyes as her mother and sister spoke to her.

"Call me Carol!" Mrs. Clause laughed as she brought us the the living room. Santa and a man sit with smiles. Welcoming us in as well.

"Oh it's lovely to have the two of you!" Carol smiled, sitting next to her husband on the couch. She grabs his hand in a tight hold.

Ivy disappears and comes back quickly with refreshments. Hot cocoa. How predictable.

"Thank you for having us.." I zone out of my mothers words as I play with my fingers. I wonder where Mary is and if she's okay.

If she was hurt or drowning herself with work.

If she was reading the diary I hide underneath my pillow. It's not a very good hiding place, maybe subconsciously I wanted her to find it.

To read all of the things i've written about her.

How i've dreamt of her thighs locked around my head..

Santa breaks away from my daydream as he starts violently choking on milk. Mrs. Clause starts hitting him hard on his back and wiping his beard down.

"Are you alright?" She asks frantically. Everyone now looks over, afraid.

"Fine! I'm fine." He spoke hoarsely.

Everyone gets settled after his coughing attack and start to speak about another topic.

"I-is that Mary?" Mother points to a family portrait above the fireplace. I hadn't noticed it before. It was a painting of Mr and Mrs. Clause, along with three children. Ivy, Noel, and Mary. They all had smiles except for Mary.

"Yes, of course. In her fine days." Mrs. Clause giggles along with Ivy who places a tray of cookies down onto the coffee table.

Mr. Clause goes to grab one but his wife smacks away his hand. I would have smiled at the gesture if the painting of Mary's younger self hasn't burned its way into my brain.

"Is she family?" My father asks curiously. Leaning into my mother, they both look at each other, understanding.

"She's our youngest." Mr. Clause smiles widely.

"When was that made. The painting." I ask, still staring up at the masterpiece. If I wasn't on the naughty list, i'd ask for a painting of Mary for christmas.

"1733!" Ivy smiled.

I choke on my hot cocoa. My doings are a dead give away for my parents and their theories. Their heads turn my way with tiny flares instead of concern.

Santa grins my way, the rest of his family rush over in concern.

"Honey are you okay?" Ivy asks sadly. Grabbing a rag for me to wipe my mouth, I gulp, swallowing my tongue while nodding.

"Where is she by the way, Carol. Is she running late?" Mr. Clause asked with genuine concern melting on to his features.

"Who?" Mrs. Clause asks.

"Our Mary! Who else?"

"She isn't coming silly. You know she doesn't enjoy spending time with her own family!" Mrs. Clause and her words has my eyes widening.

"Oh." He murmured thoughtfully.

We all eventually went to the dinner table. Dinner was unbelievably good. Everything would melt in my mouth. My mother had to hit my father once or twice.

She got angry with him saying it was better than her own meals. Ivy proceeds to ask her to come in the next day. She's teach mother her secret tips about baking and she was ecstatic.

I was happy for my mother but I didn't want her anywhere near Ivy. Not after what happened with Mary.

Dinner went well regardless, we left not even two hours later and instead of walking with my parents aback to their cabin.

I found myself on a mission to find Mary. I left the Clause house in a rush and went straight to Mary's cabin. She wasn't there.

I left and checked her office. No luck.

The only other place was the sleigh. I had doubt she's be there, but I was wrong. As i'm walking out, I take a double take.

Half of Comets body was hidden behind a wall.

I slowly walk over to peek. In seconds my heart began to leap in my chest.

My eyes widen as I quickly open the half door, rushing myself into the stable. Running up, I drop to my knees.

"Mary." I whisper.

"My baby." I cup her cheek with my palm.

"Can I sit?" I look up at Comet as I ask. She slowly lifts her head and nods carefully. Watching me closely as I sit next to Mary. My eyes start to water.

"Was she sad?" Comet nods to my question.

"I'm so sorry." I drag a finger lightly down her soft cheek. Leaning over and placing my lips on to her head. Comet vibrates behind us.

Nodding heavily and my eyes roll.

"Do you mind if I.." Comets head flies side to side before I can even finish. I smile, getting comfortable and placing my head onto Mary.

"My mom did this when I was sad growing up. She'd hold me for comfort." I speak to myself or Comet. Wrapping my arms across Mary's waist and sighing deeply.

"You're okay." I mumble sleepily. Drifting to sleep with the thought of the sad look in her eyes the last time I saw her.

I'll never let you down.