"It is weak and silly to say you cannot bear what it is your fate to be required to bear." Anne says passionately making most of us quite confused.

"I beg your pardon?" She says to Anne.

"Jane Eyre. Don't you just love it?" Anne asks.

"Ah. I've yet to reach that bit."

"Chapter six, I believe." Anne looks up dreamily. "Oh, and the ending makes me weep every time. When Rochester-"

"For heaven's sake, didn't we just establish that I've only begun it?" Aunt Jo snaps making Anne apologize. They continue talking about books for a few seconds.

"We'll take the pie straight over to Gilbert as soon as we're done, Aunt Josephine." I smile and eventually the old lady leaves.

"Is she always so surly?" Ruby snickers.

"She's always scary. The surly part just worsened now that she's sad." Diana shrugs.

Anne stops what she is doing before gazing into space. "It must be awful beyond measure to lose someone that you love deeply. In a split second, a heartbeat... they're gone forever...and there is nothing that you can do to change it or bring them back." Tears run down her face in an instant.

"Anne?" Minnie May says. "You're crying on the potatoes."

I almost lost it.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She whispers. I rub her back , trying to comfort. Though I don't know why she is in such turmoil.

***

"There's nothing wrong with saying I'm sorry for your loss, Ruby." Diana huffs as we make our way to Gilbert's house. "And I'm going to say it because I am."

"You'll just make it worse if you say that! His father just died!" Ruby is so stressed over this whole ordeal. It's quite funny to me. Gilbert isn't that hard to satisfy and impress.

"That's what people say when someone dies." Diana insists.

"I don't want you to upset him." Ruby sighs.

"He's already upset because his father just died!" I snap.

"Anne, please tell Ruby that it's alright to say..." Diana looks to Anne.

"I'm thinking perhaps I should get on home." She interrupts.

"What? Why?" I ask.

"I'm sure Marilla must be needing my help... with something." She says hesitantly. Lies.

"Don't be silly. We're almost there." Ruby links their arms. "I'm so nervous!" She squeals.

We eventually arrive at Gilbert's. We knock at the door and after a few moments he answers. He has a very glum expression. He's taken aback by the four girls in his front porch.

"Good afternoon, Gilbert." Diana nods, flashing her contagious smile.

"Good morning girls." He nods before stepping aside to let us in.

Ruby looks like a little doe as she prances to the table to sit the casserole dish on his kitchen table. He pulls back the lid to look at the dish inside. He says nothing and folds his hands.

"We're sorry to intrude, but we wanted you to have that." Ruby smiles almost creepily.

"We're sorry for your loss." Diana takes over.

Ruby then takes the reins, "It's a shepherd's pie. We made it together especially for you."

"Thank you." Gilbert nods, still looking awkward as ever.

"We hope you like shepherd's pie."

"Everyone likes shepherd's pie." Ruby snaps at Diana before looking back at Gilbert. "We hope it's a comfort to you, Gilbert."

"Anne made the topping." Diana adds. "She's a good cook."

"But I would make a terrible wife!" Anne suddenly snaps out of no where making all of us give her a confused look. She panics and runs out the front door. I bite back a laugh, just because it was so random.

"Well, um... thank you for stopping by." Gilbert stands, looking to Diana and Ruby. Diana lets Ruby out first. She winks at me before shutting the front door in my face.

I turn to face Gilbert. "I suggest adding salt to that dish. My family has no idea what seasoning is." I say trying to break the awkwardness.

"Thank you for the warning." Gilbert nods, but he has a small smile on his face. "Thank you for coming over."

"Of course. Ruby and the other girls really wanted to do something for you." I smile, sitting across from him.

"Nothing can compare to the love and compassion you have shown me the last few days, Ada Faye." He reaches across the table and squeezes my hand. "But hey. It's nice to see people try."

I laugh quietly. "I'd love to stay longer but I'm due at home." I give him a sympathetic smile. "But if you need anything, food, company, salt." I say making him laugh. "Please come and get me."

"I will. Thank you Ada." He give my hand a squeeze before releasing it.

"You're welcome, Gilbert."