02 Love Heals

"What? No!"

Arameh narrowed her eyes at Sameera.

"Come with me. Mama is forcing me to come home. Permanently. But don't worry, it won't be permanent but it'll still take months for me to come back. I can't leave you here alone."

"Aapi I've been living alone for the past year."

"Yes, but I lived just five minutes away from you. Now that Kainat's sick, it must be harder for you."

"Aapi", Sameera said, her tone indicating she was tired, "It's going to be hard for me to adjust. It would also take time for me to find a job."

"You don't have to work. I have enough money to take care of everything. I'll take care of everything."

"Aapi no plea-"

"Sameera please, you're my little sister. Truly. I can't- I- I WON'T leave you here alone. You think I don't know you? You'll stop taking care of yourself in the midst of everything. Let me be with you. Please."

"Aapi-" Just then Sameera was interrupted with a phone call.

"Hello?" As she heard the person from the other side, she pursed her lips, upset.

"I'm on my way."

"What happened?" Arameh asked.

"I left Kainat with Asma Khala. She called to tell me that Kainat threw up and is now crying", Sameera said, her voice cracking.

Arameh knew anything happening to Kainat would be the last straw for Sameera. She would break. It always baffled her at how amazing of a person Sameera was. If she was at her place she wouldn't even have considered giving birth to a baby who was the result of such brutal act. It would have been a constant reminder for her. Of how she was raped, but Sameera, she was different. She was a gem. Always looking for the good in things. She always said that Allah gave her Kainat when she had no one. She was a gift, her whole world, hence she named her 'Kainat'. Kainat was dear to her. So dear, Arameh would cry at how much love Kainat received from her mother. The love that she always craved from her own mother. 

"Let me come with you", Arameh said.

Sameera nodded and lead the way. Now that Arameh paid attention to her surroundings, she realised they had come a long way from their neighbourhood. Arameh stepped forward to hail a cab and they both got in. Both of them looked out the window, lost in their thoughts. 

Asma Khala was Sameera's neighbour and a sweet and warm woman, widow and in her early 40s. She too helped out Sameera in taking care of Kainat, claiming that it felt wonderful to have such beautiful soul to take care of. Both Arameh and Sameera called her Khala. She had suffered from two miscarriages and later fell in depression. Her husband dying added to that  so she later went back to continue with her education and was now a RNA and worked in a reputed hospital. She was, in-fact, the nurse assisting the doctor when Sameera had given birth to Kainat.

"Asma khala, I hope she wasn't too hard on you", Sameera said looking at how her daughter had made a mess in the house.

Asma Khala waved her hand, "Nonsense, I love having her here. And kids will behave like kids, don't worry."

After sharing their goodbyes, they went back to Sameera's house. It was a studio apartment. Big enough for both of them. Housing bills in Vancouver sucked your soul out.

After putting Kainat to sleep, Sameera prepared coffee for both of them and sat with Arameh in the balcony, overlooking the neighbourhood. Arameh had chosen this apartment for her. It was a condition she put. She never wanted Sameera to move out of her house but she was adamant, stating that it was time she learnt to rely on herself. Arameh at-least wanted to make sure that she lived in a nice place. The apartment was on the 20th floor. Arameh loved living up high, overlooking the city. The cars, the people down there made her feel less lonely.

Sameera silently handed Arameh her coffee. She looked up taking it and giving her a warm smile, grateful.

"Aapi?"

"Hmm?"

"What about you?"

"What about me?" Arameh asked, confused.

"You talked to aunty today. I've known you for five years. I know that you don't have a good relationship with your family. But that's all. You tell me that I'm your family, your sister yet you never tell me what keeps you awake at night. You never tell me what makes you suffocate in this world. Relationships don't work this way aapi. You'll have nothing left with you if you just keep giving yourself away but never taking anything."

"But isn't that what love is?"

"No! God no! Whoever said that can take their sorry ass to hell. I think it's a man though. Men justifying their acts through philosophy and poetry. Instead of writing about how lucky he is to have a certain woman who does everything for him, makes sacrifices tirelessly , maybe he should focus on treating her better."

"Hey calm down. I don't know who said that. I just- Whatever."

"Aapi, everything aside, you have the wrong idea of love. Love is what makes you, it builds you. You share you worries with the other person. You help each other through hardships. You heal each other. You bring each other closer to God."

Arameh smiled, not having anything to say and looked outside. She wanted to tell Sameera everything. But she feared that whatever she felt was stupid. Her family had often laughed at her whenever she expressed that something had upset her, saying how insignificant and stupid her thoughts were. What if Sameera felt the same way about her and later left her?

She had truly loved Sameera like a family. She didn't want to lose her over something stupid. Sameera had suffered much more than her. Arameh's problem would definitely be insignificant according to her. So she chose to shut her mouth.

"I'll get over it, Sameera.Every family has its problem. It's normal. It's nothing."

"Its not normal if it makes you want to run away to a different country, or keeps you on edge all the time. Have I not seen you whenever you had a call from someone back home", Sameera said in a harsh tone and Arameh's eyes watered.

Tears slowly slipped through the corners of her eyes and she looked away. Sameera instantly felt guilty and sighed.

"Aapi, your knees would buckle and face would always pale. Your voice shook so bad, I never knew what to do. I had my own problems back then so I would never persist when it came to you. But aapi my heart breaks seeing you like this. Tell me so I can help you."

Arameh felt sick. She wanted to break down and felt restless, suddenly wanting to leave the place as soon as possible. The place seemed to be closing in on her . But she controlled herself, taking deep breaths, hoping for everything to get better. She wanted to excuse herself but also not make it obvious to Sameera.

"Its nothing, Sameera. Drop it."

Sameera narrowed her eyes but said nothing. choosing to give Arameh her space.

"I'll come with you", she said after a while.

Arameh turned her head around so quickly, Sameera feared it would be strained. Arameh shot her a grateful smile.

"When do we leave?"

"By next month. You should start packing. I'll book the tickets. You should also move out of this house since paying the rent for so many months will be a waste. Move your important stuff back to my place?"

"Okay"

"Cool", Arameh looked down at her watch distractedly," I should leave. I have work tomorrow. Call me everyday okay.

"Jee aapi."

(Okay) 

----------------------

Tell me if you like this chapter?

Any suggestions?

What do you think about Arameh? Sameera?

It was just a filler. Drama starts from the next chapter. I really hope you all love this story. It's not my first one but I hope to complete this one.

Vote and comments.

Happy reading

love, 
Izza