TWENTY-NINE

"Cap, I don't want to make you a villain or anything, but...you could have done that secretly," Gunnar states. "Now that your friends have seen that other side of you."

I peer over my shoulders at the group in the living room, talking among themselves. I haven't thought about what Effie and the others think of me. As soon as I come face to face with that woman who took Myles' life away. My mind went blank.

Kendall slapped her husband's arm, and he let out a hiss. "Can you not criticize our captain?"

"What?" Gunnar is rubbing his arm. "I'm just stating the fact here. You and I know how our Captain can be, especially when it involves those Order bastards. I don't think anybody can stop her if she goes into a frenzy."

"We just buried Myles, and he was not just our comrade but our brother. What if I end up in that state? What will you do?"

"Baby, you know that will never happen?" Gunnar seems he doesn't want to argue with his wife. All is fair, and he never wins an argument.

"I said what if?" Kendall stomps her foot down firmly and crosses her arms.

"I can see what you can do with those toys of yours. I'm lucky to be alive because you're my wife."

Kendall is not only good in close combat; when she's behind her computers, she is in her little world. But she also loves tinkering with gadgets and devices. A simple TV remote is left in the ocean, creating a large explosion. Anything harmless can become deadly. Whenever they argue, Gunnar never wants to get on his wife's wrong side.

While they argue and try to point out, I lean against the wall, waiting for them to stop. A little impatient, I cleared my throat, making the couple freeze. They both turn and let out a nervous smile.

"Done?" I say sternly. Although I enjoy watching them argue, they should realize that now is not the time for a couple's fight.

They both nodded. I move away from the hallway. "Gunnar, you know I lost my temper back there. Myles was important to me as much as you two. Although they know what I do, it is probably a shock to them as they have never seen me act that way. It's why I never want to be involved with anyone. If they see me as the monster, I am...I would rather be alone."

"Terry-"

I hold up a hand to stop Kendall from being sympathetic toward me. "It's alright. Besides, they should see my dark side. They will have to make a decision." I let out a sigh. "Okay, now let's get down to the important matters. Now that Sully is dead, his branch has weakened, which leads to three executives leaving before Eva is defenseless. Any clues where the three are?"

"Oh," Kendall grabbed her iPad and moved her fingers over the screen. "According to the scouts I put out. Paola is in her large suite in Las Vegas. Last week, Anderson flew back to Mexico for his cockfighting business. As for Hugo, some of our people saw him at one of Eva's safe houses in Montana."

I rub my chin. "What is he doing there?" Muttering to myself. "And Eva?"

"Since one of her executives is dead, she hasn't made a move, but our scouts say she is on high alert."

I inhale sharply. "She should be. One of her pillars is down, and their main base will be heavily guarded. Eva will never stand a chance if we remove the other three."

With Sully gone, Eva must be panicking. She hasn't made a move because she knows that the person who killed one of her own is after her life. But I know Eva well. She may be protected and untouchable, but she's a weakness - loneliness.

She may have the executives and followers, but she still feels lonely. There was a time I remembered I had a chance to run away when I stumbled upon her office. Before I got away, she had a conversation with Hugo. Something about the kids they kidnapped to distinguish them by age and race changed my topic. I heard a lot of sick, twisted ideas about me. I was about to find out if I didn't hold in my vomit.