TWENTY-TWO

"Here, Terry, take these," Lily hands me painkillers. I pop two in my mouth.

"Thanks," I smile weakly at her.

"Terry? Um...he should be in the restroom."

"Who is Jo talking to?" Ask Thea through the loud noise from the hand dryer.

"It's Seth," Lily said, and she could see the worries on her face.

I hear Seth's voice echoing in this small public restroom as I listen to the conversation.

"He's not in there. Earlier during the drive here, I saw he looked pale. Is he okay?"

For being ignorant, he still worries for me. I couldn't help but smile inside. I thought he would ignore me forever after what happened. Seth isn't the kind of person to look the other way whenever someone he cares about is sad or hurt.

That is one of the things I like about him.

"Well, we all saw he went to the restroom. How could he leave and disappear?"

"That is why I'm asking you, girls. Poppy is worried about him."

Persephone!

I want to push open the door, but Effie stops me from leaving, shaking her head. My underwear is not dry yet, and I forgot about my daughter. Being naked below is the least of my worries.

Yet again. I'm the worst mother.

"He probably went to get something for her," Thea says casually. "He told us he saw something Poppy would like at the gift shop."

"The gift shop?"

"Yeah, the gift shop. Go check there, and we will meet at the museum entrance."

"Okay, come on, Poppy."

My heart. My heart is about to explode. Although I'm relieved that Seth didn't question further if he would, he wouldn't barge into a ladies' restroom judging by his personality.

"Okay, these are dry." Claire extends her hand. "Here, Ter, you can wear them now."

I nod and close the door. I changed quickly without taking my time. Stepping out, I lower my head with a flush on my face.

"Umm...thanks, you guys," I rub my neck. "If you didn't know my gender earlier than today, I would've done this myself."

I am then surprised by Effie as she launches herself in an embrace. She pulls back with a smile. "Terry, you are our friend and, more importantly, family. We will always be here for you."

That warmth spread inside me, and I never knew I could have such beautiful people. Of course, I considered my unit and Odin's family because we have been through a lot. Effie and the others are the second families I would like to spend time with.

What worries me is that their being in my life will be endangered. Effie, Lily, and Claire have been through a lot because unexpected events entered their life, but these girls are strong. They endured the risks and dangers of being with the people they loved. After the storm has passed, they have become more assertive.

I'm pretty jealous of them but for me...once I return to my true identity as a woman, will I ever have that predicament?

After the Aunt Flow deal, we could get through half of the activities. It was tiring, but I had fun. Once I left the restroom with the girls, Seth questioned the sweatpants. I had to excuse myself and say that my other pants ripped when I ran out of the van. He even asked how I got them, and Jordan was the first to answer him, saying it was one of her brothers that she had brought.