swearing

Suggestion from aaliyahmaybank <33

****

River had seated herself between JJ and Pope, her mother on the opposite side of the boat sitting with her girlfriends as they talked about something the boys didn't bother listening to. Riv was too caught up in trying to understand what her father, Pope and John B were discussing as she looked between the three of them, John B sitting on the ground of the boat as he sipped a beer.

"He's a fuckin' dumbass." JJ shook his head as Pope brought up how Rafe teased him during one of his deliveries.

"That's why I try to ignore his shit." Pope stated.

"Shouldn't you like not curse in front of the child?" John B titled his head and glanced at Riv.

JJ looked down at her as her head turned up to make eye contact with him. He shrugged, "Riv, don't listen."

Pope laughed, "That's not how it works."

"I say shit all the time! She never repeats a damn thing, right, baby girl?" He grinned at his daughter. She smiled in return and brought her shoulders up to her ears shyly as she played with her fingers but didn't say a word before looking at Pope.

"Your daddy is freakin' weird." Pope whispered as he leaned down to her. She giggled and turned her head into JJ's side as his arm wrapped around her.

"Feak!" She stated happily as she tried to say 'freakin' and brought her face out of his side but kept her head against him. 

JJ was quick to put a hand over her mouth, "Your mother is right there!" He whisper-shouted to her as she laughed underneath his palm.

"River!" John B laughed.

Avie looked over at them confused because she didn't hear her daughter repeat her uncle. The girls gave weird glances at them before returning to their conversation.

"Riv, you're suppose to keep your cursing a secret." JJ leaned down and took his palm off her after she shoved it away.

"So what were you saying about how she never repeats anything?" John B grinned and tilted his head to the side.

JJ rolled his eyes and brought Riv to sit on his lap, "She never says it in front of Avie, only me." She looked at her hands and clapped them being in her own little world.

"Well, she's getting older. She's almost two." John B replied.

Pope nodded, "She's gonna start repeating things all the time even when she is around Avie."

JJ sighed, "Nah, she'll only get smarter about when to say shit and when not to. Ain't that right, Rivvy?"

"Yah!" She shouted without knowing what exactly her father had said. 

"Atta girl." He rubbed her arms in his large hands then kissed the top of her dirty blonde hair.

Avie stood up from her seat to stretch and smiled at River who stared at her mother lovingly, "Hi, baby. I miss you over here." She knelt down in front of Riv and placed her hands on her knees, "You havin' fun with Daddy and your uncles?"

"She's talkin' shit about Rafe with us." JJ smirked and nodded.

Avie slapped his arm, "JJ, I've told you not to curse in front of her."

He put his hands up in surrender, "She's not gonna say anything, baby! She never does."

The other pogues looked at him confused knowing well enough that JJ lets his daughter curse when Avie isn't around. Though her attempts at pronouncing the words were undeniably adorable, Avie knew better than to let her nearly two year old speak such foul words.

She rolled her eyes, "What about Rafe?"

"Yeah, what'd my brother do this time?" Sarah budded into their conversation as an amused smile formed on her lips.

Pope shook his head, "Gave me shit when I was delivering. No big deal."

"It is a big deal! It's a load of bullshit and you shouldn't have to deal with his crap." JJ insisted as he grew defensive over his friend.

"Buh dit?" River looked up to her father confused as his eyes widened and looked at his girlfriend for her reaction. Normally, he'd let the cursing slide but with her mother around, he grew scared of her reaction.

"River! No, you can't say that." Avie pointed a finger at her with a frown, "See, J?" She stood up and took her daughter from his lap, leaving him disappointed with the loss of contact. He loved every moment with her since he had been working more frequently so spending quality time and getting extra cuddles in was something he valued even though it showed his soft side, "This is exactly why we have to stop cursing in front of her."

He sighed and stood up, "Can I please have her back? It's just a word." River looked between her parents with a worried expression, not knowing exactly what was happening. She knew what 'no' meant so she understood it wasn't good but she had no idea why her mother had taken her from her father.

"A bad word. And why? So you can teach her more swears? I don't want her saying those things. You do this all the time."

River and JJ made eye contact as he stayed silent for a moment and he felt like he knew exactly what she wanted. As he predicted, she let out a whine and reached for him, trying to lean out of Avie's arms. Despite her love for her mother, she was a daddy's girl and always had been since day one.

"This is bullshit." He stated and Avie turned away from him but Riv looked over Avie's shoulder and pouted her lip at him.

"Dada." She whimpered as tears built up in her eyes.

"Holy fuck, Aves, she's not gonna say it around other people." He huffed and tried to follow as she moved to the other side of the boat.

"Really? Because it seems like she's got an audience right now and she's repeating it." Avie looked around at her friends who all looked away and tried to play it off as if they weren't intently watching their mini argument as if it were a drama show.

JJ let out a patient breath and closed his eyes for a moment before River's cries made him open them again. She continued staring at her father as her quiet cries left her mouth, tears just starting to roll down her cheeks. "She's getting upset, Avie. Give her back to me."

Avie sighed before flinching when River screamed, "Dada!" All those pogues' eyes widened feeling awful that their niece was crying but also not knowing what to do in the situation.

Avie stepped to her boyfriend and reluctantly handed her daughter off to him.

JJ huffed and whispered, "Thank you." He set Riv comfortably on his hip as heavy breaths and whimpers escaped her mouth, calming down from her panic of not being with her father.

She pointed sharply at Avie, "Fuck." Her eyebrows furrowed before leaning her head onto JJ's chest, instantly feeling content.

JJ smirked, "Yeah, you tell her. That's my girl." His friend's eyes widened and looked at Avie, expecting her to be angry that JJ was basically encouraging his daughter to tell her mother to fuck off.

But Avie just sighed being unable to hide the grin that crept on her lips. She shook her head in disappointment but shrugged, "I have to admit; that's the first time she pronounced the 'f'." They all laughed that Avie had caved into the cuteness that Riv spread whenever she said swear words and after all, she had no idea what words were bad and what were not. "Now stop encouraging her."