dada

With Riv getting a bit older, JJ and Avie noticed how she would say small words like "mama" or "mo" if she wanted more food or breast milk. She repeated Mama all the time since Avie was normally the one to feed her or nurse her. JJ was growing upset that weeks were passing and, no matter how hard he tried, she still wouldn't say Dada.

"JJ, you already know you're her favorite. She'll say it eventually." Avie tugged his sweatshirt over her head and laid back in bed with him.

He huffed, "She says everything but Dada." He crossed his arms, "It's not fair."

Avie giggled, "I can't remember who the child is; you or Riv?"

He shook his head and wrapped an arm around his girlfriend to pull her closer as he gently rubbed her arm.

"And she says two words. Not everything." Avie added, pulling up the lower part of his shirt and tracing circles over his lower abdomen.

JJ rolled his eyes, "Well, it feels like everything to me."

Avie sighed as she felt the air get heavier after noticing how hurt her boyfriend seemed over something that felt so small to her. She let her hand rub over his shirt, "She'll say it soon, J, I promise."

He went to reply to her but was distracted when he heard tired moans and little stretching noises coming from the cot on the other side of their bedroom. His eyes moved over to Riv's direction, seeing a little head pop up as she sat up in the crib. JJ chuckled at her tired expression as she yawned and looked around.

Avie started to get up but JJ stopped her by pulling her arm to make her lay back down, "I'll get her." He sat up, "She's gotta learn my name." Avie giggled at his determined expression on his face, acting as if he was on a mission.

Heading over to the cot, JJ grinned as he greeted his daughter, "What's up, kid?"

Riv hummed and smiled in response before her mouth turned into a straight line, "M-mm..mama?" She pointed over towards Avie who watched carefully. Avie smiled at her daughter, "That's Dada, Rivvy." She told her from the distance.

Riv's eyes met with her father's again before reaching her arms up to him.

JJ squinted his eyes at her, "Say Dada and I'll pick you up." River whined in response and wiggled her body in frustration as she kept her arms reaching out for him, "Alright, alright, Riv." He slowly picked her up as a smile formed on her lips, clapping her hands in the process, "How'd you sleep, princess? Huh?" He kissed her cheek.

She placed her small hand upon his cheek, feeling his scruff that he hadn't shaved. She giggled and took her hand back after experiencing the weird feeling.

"Am I that funny lookin' to you?" JJ pouted his lips jokingly then lifted her in the air before gently crashing her down onto his bed. She laughed hysterically and flipped back over onto her hands and knees to crawl to Avie. She laughed as she approached her mother, sitting beside her.

"Hi, my baby. Daddy being funny?" She stayed laid on her side and rubbed her daughter's arm lovingly. She admired her smile which held a few little teeth that popped through not too long ago. Her blue eyes showcased her joy and love that she had when she was with JJ.

JJ chuckled and sat himself on the bed. Riv looked at him before looking at Avie while pointing to JJ, "D-.."

Avie raised her eyebrows, "Yeah, Riv, say it! That's Dada."

She looked at JJ then proceeded to crawl to his lap, pausing to pick up a piece of lint that was on his sweatpants then putting it on the bed. He watched her place her hands on his thighs then look up at him, "Da..dada."

"Yeah!" JJ shouted with a chuckle as he smiled wider than he had in months. His arms shot up to the ceiling in excitement feeling all sorts of overwhelming emotions.

"Dada..da." Riv crawled further onto his lap to sit before he helped her up, wrapping his hands around her belly to lift her against his chest, "That's my girl! Fuck yeah."

Avie sat up and rubbed circles on her back, "Good job, baby. That's Dada!" The child grinned from ear to ear as she kicked her legs in excitement.

Avie's eyes flickered from her daughter to JJ who was watching River with adoration. She noticed him pressing his lips together as his eyebrows trembled, seeming as if he was holding back tears. She pressed a soft kiss to his cheek and stroked the back of his neck to show her comfort.

He placed his hand on the back of the baby's head to pull her against his chest and planted a kiss on the crown of her head, "I knew I was still your favorite."

Avie rolled her eyes as Riv made eye contact. She whined for a moment, tugging herself back away from JJ's chest and reached for Avie, "Mmama..m-mo." She pointed at her mother's chest.

JJ rolled his eyes shortly after and sniffled, "Of course." He held her out to Avie.

Avie smiled and took her, "It's only because she wants milk." She placed her daughter in a comfortable nursing position.

"Mhm." JJ stood up with a grin, "Her favorite is changing."