changing

Thanks to @multi_shows :)

****

"Hi, JJ." Amelia greeted JJ who opened the door for his girlfriend's family, "How are you, sweetie?"

"Very good, Mrs. Thomas. Haven't seen you in a while, you been alright?" JJ politely gestured for Amelia to come in along with Rian, Ashton and Daylon following behind.

"Yes, yes. I am so sorry we haven't came by in a while. We've all just been working crazy hours. What have you been up to?" Amelia walked in.

"Oh, you know," He shrugged, "Just work. Avie and Riv keep me busy when I'm not."

Rian smiled wearily at the mention of his daughter, "Hello, JJ." Rian had never gotten passed what JJ had done. Seeing his daughter struggle alone with a screaming infant for a week straight hurt his heart more than JJ would ever know yet he wouldn't ever wish for him to witness the same thing.

"Mr. Thomas." He nodded, "How are you?"

"Not bad." Rian responded.

"What's good, man?" Ashton nodded his head at JJ as he walked in. Ashton still held some old, bitter feelings towards him but had learned to put them aside for his sister and niece. Daylon, on the other hand, kept quiet around their family but didn't hide the fact he was still resentful since they had moved into the apartment.

It was pretty hard to get passed your little sister's boyfriend leaving her and their daughter alone for a week.

"Hey." JJ pressed his lips into a thin line as he nodded.

"Where's the kid?" Daylon looked around, eager to see his niece. It was funny for someone who had hated his sister's pregnancy the most, he was probably the most attached to the little girl. Besides JJ of course.

"Oh uh," JJ scratched the back of his neck and looked towards his bedroom door, "Avie's just finishing up her bath."

"You couldn't help?" Daylon asked.

"I came to get the do-"

"Daylon, don't even start today. We came to have a nice family day." Amelia warned her son. Considering Daylon was not the biggest fan of the young father, he rarely ever came by their apartment. He would wait until Avie brought Riv over to their house to see her.

Daylon rolled his eyes and plopped himself on the couch.

Ashton stuck his hands in his pockets and looked around, "You keep it clean here, huh?" He noticed how things around the apartment were straightened up, very different from when the two first became parents. Avie's room was a disaster and neither of them bothered to clean it. Even when they lived at the chateau for a bit, it became messier than before.

"Um yeah," JJ answered, "Avie's got her while I work so I just clean it for them when I get home and they're in bed."

Daylon squinted his eyes at JJ as he listened to his words, taking into account the selflessness JJ always had in him.

"That's very nice of you, JJ." Amelia smiled. Amelia was always the first to forgive JJ whenever he did something unacceptable. While she never allowed him back into her house until Avie's graduation party, she knew his potential. He needed support. Not more people tearing him down.

JJ nodded awkwardly before all their heads turned to the sound of little feet running out of the bedroom. River revealed herself as she ran with a smile on her face, wearing just a diaper and a necklace that resembled the one her father wore around his neck.

 River revealed herself as she ran with a smile on her face, wearing just a diaper and a necklace that resembled the one her father wore around his neck