47. bail

Another week had passed. Avie began to worry that Daylon wouldn't gather the money before JJ's trial and she'd lose her chance to prove him innocent.

"Avery, what's going on? You've been coming here a lot lately?" Amelia asked her daughter as they both sat on the couch.

Avie shrugged and laid Riv on her thighs to face her, holding her little head up with one of her hands, "I guess I just miss my mom, that's all."

Amelia smiled, "You know you're always welcome to come back home, Avery."

"If JJ isn't allowed here then I'm not living here without him." Avie stated matter-of-factly.

Amelia sighed knowing she was not allowing JJ in her house just yet, "How is he anyways?"

Avie looked into Riv's wide eyes seeing her dad deep inside them, "He um, he's good." She hesitated. Good? That's all she could say? Avie wouldn't dare tell her mother that JJ was behind bars for murder.

"How's his job going? Is he working more hours now that he's not in school?" Amelia asked.

Avie continued to avoid looking her mom in the eyes, "Yeah, um.. yeah, he's been busy."

Amelia nodded and looked at her daughter with weary eyes. She believed her but knew that wasn't the entire truth. Though, she chose not to ask anymore questions seeing that Avie was uncomfortable.

Amelia turned her attention towards her granddaughter and gazed at her lovingly, "I know everyone says otherwise, but I think she looks like you."

Avie smiled softly as they both stared at the infant before them.

"She's got your nose." Amelia started, "Gonna have your hair."

Avie giggled, "Mom, her hair is blond."

Amelia shrugged, "For now. You were dirty blond when you were a baby, too."

"What about the boys?"

"Eh, they always had dark hair."

Avie nodded at Amelia then looked at Riv as she pouted her lip, "Oh no, c'mon Riv, please don't start."

"It's okay for her to cry, Avery." Amelia rubbed her mid back.

"No, she's been going through another phase of screaming." Avie quickly cradled her as she began her cries. Then out came the burst of screaming. Avie flinched then attempted to rock her, "She just wants JJ."

"Why don't you call him?" Amelia wondered.

Avie let out a deep breath thinking about how they already used their 10 minute phone call for the day, "He's working."

"Avie!" Daylon busted through the front door and saw his sister, "I got the- oh." Daylon stopped when he saw Amelia sitting next to her, "I thought you were working today, Ma?"

"They gave me the day off. Is that so bad, Daylon?" Amelia crossed her arms as she teased her son.

Daylon shook his head then looked at the screaming baby, "Again? You gotta stop bringing her here while she screams."

"You and Ash were the ones that said you wanted to see your niece more." Avie stood up and held out Riv for him to take.

Daylon took her and held her in one arm, ignoring her screams, "Look," he pulled his sister over to the kitchen, "I got the cash. You can go in tomorrow and bail him out."

Avie's eyes lit up, "For real!?" She shouted.

"Shh!" Daylon pulled her closer and glanced at Amelia who looked at them funny, "Yeah, all there." He shook his backpack on his back.