Chapter 7

---Lyra's POV---

A yawn escaped my mouth in a pitiful whine as I laid down on the floor. Honestly, I had anticipated a good fight the moment we started the battles whilst shifted.

Yet these males, who had been so boastful of their position above me, prideful of their power and superior strength, all tripped and fell over their paws within seconds of the fight.

Even Ryan seemed to be pissed off, huffing and groaning with every defeat of his hand-picked warriors. It was quite amusing to see the conceit and superiority melt into frustrated defeat.

It wasn't exactly my fault that the next two wolves tried the same damned thing as their predecessors. As soon as the fight began, they bowed through their front legs, already preparing to lunge for my throat.

I mentally rolled my eyes, easily avoiding the wolf mid lunge as the male desperately leaped from one side to another. While a headlock would indeed be preferable, they should've realized by now that all they were doing, was waste precious energy and time.

While it had been amusing in the beginning, now I was completely and utterly bored to be faced with the same tactic over and over again, as if something was miraculously going to change.

So bored in fact, that I shook off some of the dust and grime that had settled in my fur. Shaking my paw, I started to clean it from any dirt, blatantly ignoring the fight and my opponent.

The other wolf snarled threateningly, demanding to be taken seriously even though he failed to land a successful hit. When he darted towards me to try the same thing again, frustration boiled over.

I snapped my teeth, ducking before lunging for his own throat as he flew overhead. He obviously hadn't realized that weakness of his reckless attacks and struggled desperately as I pinned him to the floor.

His ferocious snarls quickly turned to pitiful whimpers as I snarled in return, tightening my hold on his throat. Not enough to pierce the skin but judging from the manner in which he completely froze up, he definitely felt my canines piercing through fur and painfully digging into his skin.

With another warning shove and a paw pressed on his chest, I slowly released him enough so he could bare his throat in utter defeat.

Another easy victory. It almost felt as if they were throwing their fights, if not for the sore losers that would walk off with their tails between their legs.

As I turned to face my next opponent, I paused before realizing that only three more fighters remained. Eric, Jason and Ryan himself.

Which made me nearly growl with excitement because I wouldn't need to hold back against that trio. They were the highest ranking among their age, so surely their bark held a bit more bite.

So when Eric stepped forwards, still human, I felt an eager anticipation simmer through my body. It almost reminded myself of the times where I had been a little pup and been invited to play my favorite game.

Because I could see the seriousness in Eric's gaze, the tense smile he offered as he observed me. Clear signs that he was going to take this seriously.

As if sensing my thoughts, he inclined his head slightly. "Don't think I will be holding back, simply because you're a woman."

I let out a contented whine, wagging my tail eagerly as I bowed through my front paws as an eager invitation. Surprise sparked in his gaze before he chuckled and shook his head.

"This is going to be one hell of a fight..." He grinned as I yipped in reply before shifting into a solid black wolf.

My own wolf was just as excited to see someone was taking us seriously. Eric instantly postured defensively instead of standing there with a wagging tail in clear underestimation.