Chapter 5

---Jason's POV---

Man, that girl knew just what buttons to press. I cringed, hesitant to touch my aching nose after it had impacted with the door.

At first I had hoped I had scored, had manage to seduce the new she-wolf and succeeded in making her fall for my charms and good looks.

It wasn't just vanity that made me say that, as I've had several she-wolves stumble over their feet in an attempt to please me. It didn't hurt to know that you were handsome, right?

The way she had walked towards me, smiling kindly, I had been sure that I had hit the jackpot and would at least get a nice kissing session for my efforts.

One moment I was leaning in, already anticipating to lock with those luscious lips and the next the door had slammed shut with such a force that I was surprised my nose wasn't broken.

A chuckle broke the silence as I squeezed my nose, could feel the heat of the blood trickling down my face. "Shut up, Eric." I grumbled, glancing at the doorway where Eric stood with a smug grin on his face.

"You deserve it Jason." He snickered, shaking his head. "I told you that she wouldn't fall for your silly tricks. Hell, you jumped with both feet in the trap she set up for you." He snorted out a laugh while adding, "Some self-professed playboy you are."

Rolling my eyes at the comment, I growled back "Give me a break man. None of us have found our mates yet. It doesn't hurt anyone if I try to get to know people better, to see if there's a connection."

Eric smirked slightly, barely muffling the laughter behind his hand as he pointed between myself and the door. "Oh, there was a connection alright. I'm surprised there isn't an imprint of your face on the door."

"Well, what about you, Mr. Suave and smooth? Tripping over your words the second she batted her eyelashes in your general direction." I teased, watching his face fall as my own grin intensified.

"Anyways!" Eric interrupted, waving my words away and changing the subject. "Ryan and Blake called through the link a while ago but someone was too distracted, so I came looking for you."

Raising an eyebrow, I waited for him to continue before drawling, "And... ?" hoping I didn't need to drag the information out of him.

"Alpha Blake wants to offer her a position in the pack."

I blinked, eyes flitting to the closed door behind us before I wandered down the hallway in case she was listening in.

"So? Just gives us more time to check her out. I don't see why you're so serious about it." I commented, watching a glare form on Eric's expression as he rubbed his hand tiredly over his face.

"It means, dipshit, that she'll have to undergo testing to see where she ranks." Eric explained through gritted teeth. My jaw dropped as shock spread through my system.

"WHAT? But why? Who's idea was that?!" I exclaimed, cringing as Eric shushed me, dragging me by the arm down the stairs and further away from Lyra's room.

"Ryan's, of course." He scoffed. "He was pretty pissed off when Alpha Blake proposed the idea, so he pointed out that none of the pack knew Lyra's ranking." Eric sighed tiredly, though there was an excited little grin forming on his lips.

New arrivals would usually retain the rank they held within their former pack. But in the case of rogues, nomads and outcasts, they needed to be tested, to undergo a series of trials in order to determine their position.

"So, think we'll get to have a go at her? I can't wait!" I snickered, stretching my arms above my head with a groan. "It's been ages since there was a newcomer, plus it'll be a perfect excuse to look at her for a perfectly fine reason."