Chapter 4

---Ryan's POV---

"I can't even believe that father would so much as listen to any rogue, let alone give them a second chance." I snarled, feeling my wolf pace in agreement.

The deeply rooted anger, bordering on hatred, made me want to turn back towards the direction of the holding cells, even if that meant disobeying a direct order from my Father.

"Calm down Ryan, you're starting to lose control." Jason grasped me by the shoulders, spinning me away from the general direction of the holding cells and stared me in the eyes. "Relax, take a few deep breaths and remember our order."

Nodding, I took a few deep breaths before scowling as I realized that the rogue's scent was still clinging to my nostrils. Frustrated, I stalked away from the vicinity of the holding cells, hoping to calm down if I could get rid of her scent.

As we were approaching the hallways, I heard Eric mumble behind me "She doesn't seem that bad for a rogue."

Anger flared to life and I was barely able to contain my wolf, merely grabbing Eric by the front of his shirt and shoving him against the wall.

"What did you say? You'd accept a fucking rogue among us?" I hissed, wolf snarling and snapping its teeth at the very idea of accepting a rogue, any rogue, as one of us.

Eric didn't answer, pushing against my forearm that was pinning him against the wall. Jason huffed before I was shoved away from the pair of them, only succeeding in angering me further.

Before we could actually come to blows, a firm hand landed on my shoulder, making me look back straight into the stony cold expression of my mother.

Our Luna.

One raised eyebrow and all three of us fell in line, knowing that my lighthearted and carefree mother was never really quiet, unless on serious occasions.

Or if you pissed her off.

"Why on earth are the three of you fighting at this time of night? Or should I say morning?" She asked, eyes flitting to the brightening horizon visible through the windows.

I remained silent, biting on my cheek as I was still too angry, too riled up by Eric's words. Jason glanced at the pair of us before sighing.

"Eric mentioned that the rogue under out custody doesn't seem nearly as bad as some of the rogues from our past." His eyes flitted towards me. "While I can understand Ryan's anger, with all due respect Luna, we cannot treat every rogue as if they had a hand in your daughter's murder."

Blood dripped from between my clenched fingers at the very mention of Sam. A young twelve year old, carefree and joyful. Killed by rogues.

She had been out with friends, riding on horseback when Father had gotten an alert that rogues had crossed the border.

Sam had kept her friends safe, distracting the rogues so the two girls could get help. By the time the patrol had arrived, the rogues had dragged her off the horse, using her as leverage to get off of pack land without being harmed.

We demanded Sam's return, allowing the group to leave, as long as they gave her back. And they did.

In pieces.

A soft sigh sounded before I was wrapped in a gentle hug. My mother's scent clung to my nostrils as I struggled for control, for the guilt that still flooded through my system.

Because I was the elder brother. I should have been there, should have protected Sam and her friends, instead of being at home.

Nobody had expected the rogue breech, nor the coldblooded murder at their hands. Ever since, I simply saw them for the animals they are.