Colter: Kieran Duffy

Honey stirred in her sleep, heart racing, lungs unable to unclench to take a proper breath as if she had exhaled for too long and they became stuck

Honey stirred in her sleep, heart racing, lungs unable to unclench to take a proper breath as if she had exhaled for too long and they became stuck. It was freezing but her body felt hot, her nerves jittery. She was back there, in her dreams thankfully not vivid but still the feeling. Honey could feel the boat rocking gently on the water, she could a child crying and she could taste...god it's everywhere....

Honey's eyes flew open, she drew in a long well-needed breath. "when will those dreams stop. I remember well enough without them. Please let me rest." she thought.

Turning over she watched Arthur sleep, she almost envied him as she watched his eyes move about behind his eyelids. His face was calm, peaceful even. A though she envied him she was also grateful he hadn't been there that day. She was thankful he could be around to keep herself and all of the others steady, Hosea could not do it alone and it was clear every last one of them who had been in blackwater that day were no longer stable. They had each changed.

With her dreams leaving her restless, Honey tried to slip out of bed without waking Arthur. It seems like the smell of the water and the blood was stuck in her nose, the chilled mountain air might remedy that, surely.  Arthur's grip constricted around her as Honey tried to leave the bed. "Arthur let me up...nature's calling." She said it's the only thing that ever broke his iron embrace. Arthur grumbled words that were hardly words and released Honey while turning over to face the wall. Honey laughed silently to herself and brushed at his hair before getting to her feet and pulling on her clothes.

Lantern in hand Honey stepped out into the brisk outdoors, the wind had picked back up and lightly howled through the rustling trees. It banished the distant echoing memory of gunfire that lingered in her ears. The sounds of her family shouting in panic. Honey drew in a deep breath, inhaling as much of the crisp air as she could, it seemed to free her whole body from the tension.

A door creaked and rattled in the wind, Honey'd turned to look at the Workhouse, a lantern light flickering through the cracks of the door. "Dutch's O'Driscoll is in there isn't he?" Honey pondered to herself quietly, "It's freezing out here..." she whispered, looking about no lights were on in the other buildings, "everyone has got to be sleep by now. Maybe I should just check...." She thought, making her way through the snow towards the Workhouse. 

As Honey drew near the little voice of reason in the back of her head became disquiet. Maybe it was a bad idea, the man looked frightened but what if it was a ruse? what if he wanted them to think he was harmless and was only waiting for one of them to let their guard down. Honey had already caused the gang too much trouble in the past, "Last thing you need is to slip up and let the O'Driscoll make a harmful move on us." She thought. But she found her feet had already taken her to the door.

Honey stood still as stone, listening carefully. She couldn't hear a peep from inside. "Maybe he's sleeping." she thought. Honey couldn't imagine Arthur giving the man a pleasant ride to camp, and if she knew him at all he scared the man right out of his witts the whole way. He might have been exhausted, falling asleep in the freezing cold in a rundown building couldn't have been easy. The Kind thing to do would be to let the man rest.