Kymil (2)

**This is a Part Two to the chapter most recently written in what is currently ongoing in Tenebrae- while Nikolai and Kalena are on their mission for the Opal. It continues right from where it was left off, and in Kymil's POV**

Written in Kymil's perspective

Odeir was seated at his usual desk of alloyed steel. He donned his Tenebrian fighting leathers, which still had a part of me irked, knowing fully well he should have no right to them. Not after that debacle of a bargain he'd made to ensure his freedom- by chaining it to the loss of the war. Opposite him, stood Breid with a demeanour rigid enough that it was questionable if he was even breathing. With his lips pursed, and arms fisted behind his back in a strictly military fashion, he conveyed well enough his reluctance to move aside for me. Ironically, it was only the slight clearing of his throat from Odeir that had him shift- even if it was by the smallest possible margin.

Breid was as pure as the upper classes of Tenebrian aristocracy could strive for. Both parents were borne of dominant families in the circle of nobility; told well by his prominent features of auburn hair flecked with blonde, and a complexion that could never reach as pale as mine. At times, I felt curious whether these snubs of his were owed to the stark contrast of our backgrounds, of which there was now plenty across the city following the new memories, or if it was my link to Kalena that he thought hindered the durability of his position. The latter also meant extra caution had to be taken in the case that I considered to send him down a notch or two during one of the nights this week; if something were to happen to him, suspicions would inevitably come my way.

'I have called for the both of you today, to chalk out a basis of the defence the Tenebrian legion is to demonstrate in one month's time.' Odeir spoke up, his calculating eyes sweeping over the reactions we had to his intentional vague wording of 'one month's time'. That was, how significant we each deemed Veyren's looming arrival in Luxandria.

Breid's words were clipped, but fermented with attempted authority. 'It shall be a solid one, but Veyren has made no mention of a claim to Tenebrae. So to show our allowance for him to ravage Luxandria as he and his mortals please, we will remain out of their way.'

I kept my gaze low on Odeir's desk, and my voice even lower. But I ensured the challenge was there, as I reposed. 'Veyren may have not made an outright mention, but that does not mean we squander the opportunity to ready our utmost defence while we still can. We can not know for certain what he will decide pertaining to Tenebrae, but going by what he has undertaken in the courts of Dawn, and Dusk, it can be implied.'

Breid focused himself onto Odeir. 'Forgive me, but it appears the profession of Spymaster does not bode for an understanding of the workings of an army... we can not draw up our utmost defence every time there is a concern invoked from what has gone on in other courts.'

I couldn't help but give a satirical laugh under my breath at his audacious claims. There were countless times I could've taken my pick from to make negate his point, but I supposed I'd choose what was most recent. 'You may not have been Acting General then, Breid. But I shall remind you that as Spymaster, I lay claim to the very intel gathered to shape the front line attacks conducted by the Tenebrian legion throughout our war against the Aedgian armies. Of which we won all, but the final battle. It was my intel that picked up the coming invasions for Dawn and Dusk, and it is my intel that shows the same to undergo here.' I faced Odeir sharply. 'The beams of magic our visometers are picking up in Endisvale are far greater than what would be expected to dominate Luxandria. He will endeavour in Tenebrae.'

Odeir's face was monotone to the same series of grim frown lines he'd sported over the last centuries. He would give no clue as to what was churning within that shrewd mind of his, but I knew if it was taking this long, it was because he loathed the idea of taking into consideration what I'd put out. Alternatively put, Breid hadn't acted on par with his thinking. When he'd finally stomached that loathing, Odeir looked up to announce his judgement. 'Based on the patterns of beams casted among the visometers' spectroscopy, we shall prepare the legion to an adequate defence. The drawbridges of the mountain range will be brought up. All together, we will guard the city, and the city alone. No help will be offered to the people of Luxandria come the time of Veyren's arrival.'