Chapter 40 | Masquerading |

The ballroom had been opened up again for the night of the masquerade ball. Having worked out the timings, Nikolai and I had to spend approximately two and a half hours here, so that we could slip out just before the dancing commenced. It would be a crucial two and a half hours too, since the first phase of the mission finally coming into place was especially dependent on it; setting on course for Torrine.

The view before me was one of lush gowns paired elegantly with their escorts' refined suits, with special regard to the common theme of concealed faces. As beautiful as it was, that was what the least of my focus was on. Instead the thought running a constant parade through my mind was of the few casual words Nikolai had mentioned earlier today... The agenda Torrine had against all fae... It was a known fact all mortals found all fae intolerable- detested each and every species of them. Then why was Torrine known particularly for this vendetta?

With that in mind, I searched the room for the familiar set of auburn coloured ringlets of hair, seeing as searching for Riley's face in the mesh of only masks would be a lost cause. I caught sight of Veyren's second-in-command near the exiting doors, and decided I'd get him to join the dance, before he planned on using them.

He recognised me far before I'd reached him. 'Kathleen, what a pleasure it is to see the masquerade ball has taken to your liking.' Edwin beamed behind his mask.

'It will be a greater pleasure to see you partake in the actual dancing of the ball- with me, of course.' I attempted the usual flattery.

The second-in-command blinked in surprise and casted his gaze towards the marble flooring. 'You've always been so outright.'

I knew it wasn't very ladylike for me to be the one to ask him to dance, but we hardly had any time to spare here.

'That I have.' I offered him my hand and led him into the dance. I wasn't too worried since it was the Viennese-waltz, which Nikolai had taught surprisingly well after the last ball.

'I see the music and commotion does not affect you as adversely as it once did.' Riley commented, as he slid an arm around my waist.

I couldn't already pull away from the intimacy I knew he was going to attempt; he was the only one I could think likely enough to know and tell the truth behind Torrine. A couple weeks back I certainly hadn't had this much problem getting frisky with him to find the iron chamber. Yet, I wouldn't let myself believe anything had changed, because that would have me considering the reasons behind the change... And those reasons, I'd agreed to never speak of again.

Though that pact frustratingly didn't also stop me from thinking about it. Not even when it was Riley who was spinning us, and where it was his locks of hair falling onto my shoulder between every half turn.

None of it did good to stop me from casting my mind back. Each movement of his instead drove me to remember the small glimpse of the memory of that night, that I found myself holding onto.

I needed to be cleansed of my past recollection and feelings all over again. This time I'd go into it willingly, if only to wipe out that one, blasted memory of the touch of not the Luxandrian General, but Nikolai.

'Did the move up of the masquerade ball cause you any hassle, Kathleen?' Riley tried some meagre conversation... which I was supposed to have already begun exploiting for myself by now.

'None at all. I'd already arranged my dress far in advance. The mask, too. I must say, balls and dinners; social events in general, conducted in Mightmere bring me much more excitement than those in Irondrift.'

'No disrespect to Irondrift, but I'm very pleased to hear that. You should-'

I cut him off. 'It makes me wonder. Can the same be said for the entirety of your side of the continent? Perhaps we could visit nearby towns at some point, before I have to return.'