Nikolai (2)

*This is another chapter from Nikolai's perspective, based on the his side of the final battle between the Tenebrian legion and the Aedgian armies (around chapter 19 in the main book).*

'We're calling him in.' Leo surveyed the wreckage of my wing, estimating the capability I rendered for the remainder of the battle.

'We don't need him. It's a minor wound, least of all the reason why a damned ally- who we don't even know, whether or not is an ally- should be allowed to gain ingress into a civil war.' My arm, and its pertaining, wounded wing flailed out of instinct, indignation barely contained. In response, pain shot out out from the gash, and I had to clench my jaw tight to keep Leo from discerning. Though I shouldn't have bothered, judging from his next words.  

'Then why is it that the majority of the aerial army has been wiped out. In one singular attack commenced by the Tenebrian General?' He stalked towards me, with the prowl of a High Lord. Centuries of fighting beside him, I'd seldom seen him adopt this persona. Even more rarely, was it directed at any of us.

But it seemed Leo didn't want to end there. His rage was justified; I'd failed him, and our city, as General. 'Our frontlines are continued to be pushed back, not an ounce of resistance showing amongst any of them.' Leo gestured to the density of the fighting I'd just fought my way through. The clamour of our swords clashing against Tenebrian steel was still ringing out all the way to where we stood. 'I can't even use a droplet of my power to save them yet. Their wards are sure to block it. And so, the only person to mitigate the loss that poses to us, is Veyren.'

'It's best if we attempt to rein in the battle- without his help. While we still can. Leo, I don't trust him.'

'What of the trust of the mutilated Aedgians lying around us, Nik? We led them to their deaths.' His tone grew unnervingly soft at the last part. But it was more the slight correction I ought to have added... I led them to their deaths. To him, they were simply soldiers owing military service to their High Lord. It was mere feudalism. But when the question was raised to their General- they were men who trusted, and believed in my lead. Their loyalties had remained intact until they met their ends. And I'd failed them.

'Look, I'm sorry. I know the last few months have been hard on you.' Leo averted the gaze of his now-amber eyes. The fire within them surging to break out of the tight leash he restrained on himself.

'It's no excuse.' I knew what, or rather whom he was alluding to.

He hastened to interject as the opportunity rose. 'Then let me call in Veyren. Odeir may not have been the subject of the prophecy, but he made us a damn good bargain. He's allowed an external ally.'

I was surprised my position as General was still revered enough for him to ask. 'Call him in.' As I gave in, I fought to keep my shoulders from sagging; we were in the midst of the battlefield, and any vulnerability I dared expose- I already knew the dear price for, thanks to Kalena.

Leo gave a simple nod, as his last action before engulfing himself in streams of a flamboyant, yellow light. My gaze darted around us to see if anyone had noticed, but the majority of the enemy soldiers around us remained fully focused on fending off our armies, their Tenebrian steel cutting through abdomens, necks, wings, whatever they could get their damned hands upon. I thought of rejoining our frontlines, acting as a well need reinforcement. My swords were unsheathed when I saw yet another of my winged soldiers fall from the little altitude he'd gathered, I assumed to previously unleash a bombardment of arrows on the Tenebrian personnel around him. But mid- charge, I realised if I immersed myself in the fighting now, I'd likely not come out again. If I went, I wouldn't be here for when the High Lord of the Night Court arrived, and I'd have no knowledge of the onslaught he'd be exerting upon the Tenebrian legion. That awareness was imperative, or I'd have no clear idea on what our response should be to the Tenebrian's retaliation.