Chapter 16 | Two Days and One Night |

Nikolai left only a few minutes after Odeir had completed the first part of his bargain. He didn't so much as nod before he turned to gather the Aedgians who had accompanied him. I didn't watch as they left; my gaze had snagged on where Kymil was now soothing the wailing woman left in the tent. Her name was Elva, he had told us. Either Elva or the sacrificed soldier must have been linked to his intelligence units.

Behind her, Felisse and another soldier from a nearby tent were hurriedly trying to heave the stabbed body out. Their faces were solemn, their hair unkempt from recent sleep. I'd help them as soon as I was done with Odeir.

'You had no right,' I couldn't help the tremble in my voice as I turned to face him.

The dagger in Odeir's hand was still wet and shining with blood, almost as bright as the twinkle in his eyes.

'You forget your place, Kalena,' Odeir sneered, making it clear that he did not have to address me as General. To remind me of my status below him. And of the dead soldier's status beneath all of us.

'I forget my place?" I bit back. We had enough enemies trying to slaughter us Tenebrians without one of our own also joining in the killing.

I felt grateful when the rushes of biting wind loudened around us, momentarily blocking off Elva's agonising wails. Kymil had now blanketed her in a cocoon of shadows and seemed to be lulling her into sleep through them. Still, she whimpered, her sobs carrying in the wind, 'Thea... my Thea...'

Odeir didn't so much as glance at her as he curled his lip back. 'I saved your life,' he spat at me, before turning to leave.

My nails dug into my palms as I watched him stalk away, and it required all my effort not to brandish my own blades and stick them in his back.

For a few moments, I just stood there, Elva's whimpers the only sound echoing in my ears. In every rattle of her breath, I felt the indirect accusations; the blame she couldn't lay on her General, but was her General's to bear. I had volunteered myself to Odeir, but he had chosen Thea. He had bid one life over the other, as if ranking their value. As easily as he ranked skills or weapons.

It should have been me.

When I could no longer stand the painful cracks in Elva's voice, I prowled back to my tent, my steps heavy. It took longer than usual to summon the darkness, but when it came at last, I was relieved. My last thought before I slipped into oblivion was, again, that Odeir's dagger should have aimed for me.

*

When I woke up the next morning, I shoved off a few, thick blankets first. I didn't remember layering them over myself last night. I was still in the leather pants of my fighting leathers, but had stripped out of my jacket and shirt, leaving only a loose vest.

The camp was quiet when I got up and rubbed at my eyes. The wailing whips of the wind native to the Luxandrian battlefront was, for once, more prevalent than our soldiers.

I couldn't remember the last time I'd eaten either, and as if in protest of the absence of the memory, my stomach growled. I rose unwillingly at the sound.

'Bread on table,' a muffled voice mumbled from the sofa opposite my blankets, making my entire body tense. My head whipped to see Aelius sprawled across it, shirtless, his eyes still closed in slumber. 'It's too early, Kal, go back to sleep.'

I grabbed for my shirt. 'What are you doing here?'

His entire body couldn't fit on the sofa, so his legs were hanging off the sides while his head lay on the armrest. He lazily lifted the arm that was slung over the side of the sofa. In his hand was loosely clutched a dagger. 'After what Odeir did to Thea, who else would know about the guilt that ate away at you all night? Guilt can lead someone to do the stupidest things, you know, especially when combined with senseless prophecies... Besides, I still don't trust Odeir.'