Final Phase

Later that evening, Kei posted his last response to Kenma's latest barrage of pictures, and told everyone reading that he was blocking Kuroo. Indefinitely. He'd been both hot- and cold-blooded in his answers, so much so that someone would private message him and ask if he were actually serious. Depending on who it was, he'd either reassure them that he was doing his part, or just make one worded answers to fend off curiosity seekers. He didn't want to take any chances and give anything away. To be on the safe side, he took several screenshots, and blocked and reported Kenma.

Closing his laptop, he laid down on his bed, and played with his phone. He'd kept it close so that he'd feel it vibrate when Tetsuro called or texted. Lately, he'd had to lie low because of the mess Kenma created, so they'd both stopped the nightly calls and texts. The worst part of it all was that he was so used to talking to Tetsuro each night that he couldn't remember how he'd managed before they'd met.

Unable to get comfortable, Kei sat up and got out of bed. He went to the kitchen and got something cold to drink, taking it outside with him to the porch. He sat down, and looked up at the half-moon. Was Tetsuro okay? Did he see everything he'd posted? He hoped he was believable enough. But... was he too believable?

He brought his legs up and crossed his arms over his knees, resting his head on his arms. This was so stupid! He hated this. He hated having to do any of it. He understood the reason why, but he could have stayed out of it, couldn't he? Well, no, he really couldn't have, considering Kenma had specifically tagged him in everything he posted.

He needed to move around. Maybe that would tire him out. He'd just stood up to pace around the backyard when his phone buzzed. Two notifications hit at the same time, and he tapped on Tetsuro's first.

[Sorry, can't really talk, but I love you]

[I love you too]

[It'll be over soon]

[I hope so]

[You've done your part, so you can sit back and let us handle the rest, okay?]

[Okay. Tetsu?]

[Yeah?]

[I hate this]

[...]

[Give me a few minutes. I'm going to call you]

[Is Kenma there?]

[Yeah, but I'll come up with something]

[Are you sure you should?]

[I don't care. I'm going to call you, just give me a few minutes]

[Okay]

While he waited, he tapped on the second message. It was from Tadashi.

[If you need to talk, you can call me]

[Thanks. Tetsu's going to call shortly]

[Are you sure it's okay]

[No, but he's determined... and I need to hear his voice]

[Understood. We'll catch up later]

[Yeah. Thanks again, Tadashi]

[You're welcome]

A few minutes later, his phone buzzed with the expected incoming call. Tetsuro hadn't yet spoken, but then he was out of breath.

"What did you do, run?"

"Yeah. To the park."

"Like that wasn't conspicuous at all."

"I got lucky. Kenma left before I did. I just snuck out the back and ran a different way." He took several deep breaths, and then spoke again. "I hate this, too, you know. I had to remind myself that it was all an act when I read some of your responses."