Serendipity (sub-plot)

3 and a half months ago...

Two weeks.

Two weeks of being away from my family, my friends and my loved ones and living in an isolated place with white walls suffocating me from all around. That was how I felt while struggling to breathe in that separated ward of the hospital, looking at my parents through the window whose faces were heartbreaking.

Coming back home was a taste of life I longed for all those days when I was no better than a corpse. It was like a revival from the death.

Even though I was still isolated for a while to maintain safety, at least I was back in my room which was decorated in the accents of yellow and white.

"Hyuka?" I heard from the other side of the door. Broken from my reverie, I stared blankly at the wood as if it was a foreign object. "Hyuka, are you asleep?" The voice called again. I blinked, rushing to it.

"Who...?"

"It's me, Beomgyu." He said. I sighed with the sense of familiarity.

Beomgyu was my best friend since I gained my conciousness. We grew up together, studied together, played together and basically were known for the friendship we shared, including my only other best friend Taehyun.

Taehyun, who was of the same age as me. The person I fell for over the time. The bond I had ruined with my single stupidity. We were still friends, from what he had assured just the day before, but we still had become distant and awkward. Our interactions were no longer like the gone days.

I gently rested my palms on the door, as if I would touch the person behind it. "Hyung." I breathed out, doubting if it even through to the other's hearing.

It did. "I am right here. How are you feeling?" He asked softly. I couldn't help but smile.

"Much better, but I still have a bit of headache." I answered honestly. I knew he would understand, but I also didn't want him worrying about me any further.

After a moment of silence, he spoke again. "Should I pass any medicine to you?" I chuckled, shaking my head, as if he could see me. "No thanks, Hyung. I think I am good. Just need some rest." Silence followed, and I almost thought he left when my phone started ringing in my pocket. I slipped out with a frown, only to find that it was a face time from Beomgyu himself.

"Hi." I heard as soon as I answered the call. There he was, looking like he aged a lot in just a few days. His eyes were baggy and dark beneath with some worry lines on his forehead. He had changed a lot from when I last saw him. His jaw was slightly more defined. A bit of stubble covered his chin. His hair was a lot longer now.

"Hey..." I greeted back sitting down with my back against the door. "You changed."

He smiled. "Yeah, I did. And, well... you did too. You look much more handsome now."

"Shut up, I look like a sick grandpa." We chuckled in unison.

"Or maybe you haven't changed at all." He suggested, raising his eyebrows. I think I did change, just tended to hide it for as long as I could.

"And so did you." Due to some reason, he seemed to be a lot relieved by that statement. I was confused but let it slide for now.

For a few minutes, we said nothing, enjoying the presence of each other just a door step away. How I wished to just open it and hold him close like older days when he looked bothered. When he worried about someone or something or everything, not knowing where to put his hands or his worries.

"I think Taehyun likes a guy." He wondered suddenly. My eyes widened just a bit.

"Really?"

"Yeah. He slipped his name out when I was gonna inform him of your discharge." A sliver of jealousy rose up my spine but soon died down. I should be happy he moved on. I should be supportive of him. But all I could do was smile through the silent pain.

"That's great. What's his name?"

"Binnie...I guess it's the nickname." He noticed something, scowling a little. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, what can happen to me?"

"Right...wait a sec." He dropped the phone to the floor, rushed footsteps being the only thing heard through the door. And moments later, I heard a knock. "Open the door."

I stared at him through the phone in disbelief. "What? No. It's not safe to be around me right now. I just recovered from COVID." He wasn't really visible on the mobile screen, only his hair and a bit of his forehead.

"Oh come on. Just open it. Nothing will happen." I was still sceptical but gave up and opened the lock. The door opened and Beomgyu stepped in, wearing a mask. I wanted to laugh at this idiotic move but I couldn't. I was too overwhelmed with a foreign emotion.

"Hyung..." I whispered and was taken in a hug, one after so many days.

"I know it's hard for you, Kai. But I am here for you. Taehyun is too."

"But...he hates me now."

"No one can hate you, sunshine. Your sheer presence makes us smile. Why would you ever assume someone might think of you negatively?" That was enough to break me down. A small sob escaped from my lips and I buried my head on his shoulder. It felt warm.

"Thank you." I muttered, holding him tighter.

"Anytime." His arms enveloping mine. I didn't want to ask for anything else but the comfort of having him there. I never needed much. I never wanted more.

That was how home actually felt.

I was finally home.

Serendipity

☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆