24

"Are you sure this will work?"

"I hope it does."

Winter Carnival is one of the main events you need to attend if you are to visit Busan at Christmas.  The whole event is themed after a story but also has a lot of activities. From snowmen and snowballs to roller coasters and snow angels; from ice skating and snowman contests to shooting at balloons; from going on the Ferris wheel and seeing the stars above them. You can even go to the pier for some rides, as well as eat cotton candy or get steak. All sorts of things.

Winter carnivals were something that had always been around since the beginning of time.

Although this year, the activities were toned down due to the pandemic precautions and wellbeing for all the attendees—that was expected. It was still gonna be fun if what I was planning would go smoothly.

Soobin was still determined to only have small talks with me, and that was perfectly fine.  We've both come a long way and we're trying to move past our old issues, so there's no reason to push anything further than this right now.

"Do you think Soobin will like it?" Yeonjun asked me, breaking me out of my thoughts and back into reality.

"Hm? Like what?"

He looked at me suspiciously before saying, "Don't you know?"

"Know what?"

"Soobin likes winter."

And I knew I wasn't making a mistake. "If that's true, he would love it." Yeonjun grinned, "I hope so too." His eyes then landed on Soobin on the couch, comfortably talking to Beomgyu about God knows what. His smile fell, making me frown. I too looked at Beomgyu and back at him. "Is something wrong?" Yeonjun sighed, looking back at me. "It's nothing."

I did not ask any further. He seemed upset about something else and I didn't want to press.

We spent the rest of the day catching up and just enjoying each other's company until it was finally the time I was waiting for. But then I faced the biggest challenge, inviting Soobin to the carnival.

What if he doesn't want to go? What if he thinks it's childish? What if he wants to watch something on his laptop and pretend I'm not there?

But what if he does want to go? What if he enjoys it? And maybe he wants to spend more time with me? What if...?

I mentally slapped myself and urged it to be productive for once. With large steps, I stalked towards Soobin and with all the courage I could sum up, I asked,

"Binnie, are you free right now?"

His gaze shifted towards mine, "Uh... yeah, why?"

"Well..." I started to pick at the cuffs of my sweater nervously. My hand ran through my hair nervously and he frowned at my nervousness. "I uh... wanted to ask if you are up for going to the Winter carnival."