chapter nine.

Skylar was on her way back home, when she decided to text Jacob. She hasn't seen him for a while, and wanted to check in. See how he was doing. She called him first. No answer. She texted him, nothing yet. Skylar was starting to freak out. She was hoping that he his phone had died, or something. She'd hate to assume the worst. That was always a little thing Skylar did.

When he didn't respond for a while, she was about to go to the Barber's residence, to see if Andy or Laurie had seen him. Then she remembered, they're both probably still at work. She sighed, as she walked home. As usual, her mum wasn't home. She was working a double shift today. Skylar decided to call Jacob again. She was about to hang up, when she heard him pick up on the other end.

"Hey-"

"Where are you? Are you okay?" Skylar asked, frantically.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine."

"Where are you?" Skylar asked again.

"Um. Sky, I have to go. I'll talk to you later."

Skylar didn't get a chance to say bye, because Jake had already hung up the phone. Groaning, Sky threw her bag down, and walked back outside, and to the Barber's house. She knew nobody was home, but she wanted to wait until either Laurie or Andy got home. She sat down on the steps, out of breath. She had a lot of waiting ahead of her.

.•° ✿ °•.

Skylar woke up to Andy tapping her shoulder. She had fallen asleep right there on the porch.

"You okay, kiddo?" Andy asked, helping her up.

"Yes, I'm okay." Skylar responded, brushing the dirt off of her.

"I was about to call an ambulance cause I just saw you laying on the porch, passed out. Thought you were dead." Andy laughed.

Skylar chuckled. "Have you seen Jake?"

"I was just about to get to that. He's at the police station. He's.. he's been arrested."

"What? Why?!"

"They think he killed Ben." Andy said, rubbing his forehead.

"Laurie and I were about to go to the station, then we saw you."

"Can I come? My mum isn't home yet. Won't be for a while."

Andy nodded, and they walked to the car, where Laurie was already waiting in the car. Skylar didn't say anything for the entire ride. She didn't really know what to say.

Ten minutes later, they had arrived at the station, and got out. They were waiting in the room for what seemed like forever. Finally, they were allowed to see Jake. Andy and Laurie immediately wrapped him in a hug, while Sky awkward stood to the side. Skylar was staring at the floor, when suddenly Jacob came an hugged her. It startled her, but she ultimately hugged back. He placed his face in the crook of Sky's neck, crying slightly. Skylar rubbed circles on his back.

                                   .•° ✿ °•.

"They really think I killed Ben."

"It's a mistake. We're gonna figure it out, don't worry."

Skylar was sat in a seat next to Jacob. They're hands were interlocked under the table. Skylar zoned out, not really paying attention to their conversation. Until a man came in, and told them that they're time was up. Andy and Laurie got up to hug Jacob again, and they walked out. Leaving just Jake and Sky.

"I don't think you did it." Skylar said suddenly.

Jacob smiled. "Thanks."

The two hugged again, staying like that for while until Jake pulled himself out of the grasp, but still holding Skylar slightly. The looked into each other's eyes, until Jake started to lean in, getting closer to Sky's lips, until the man from earlier came back.

"Hurry up." he said.

Skylar rolled her eyes, and walked away waving goodbye to Jacob. She met with Andy and Laurie in the car. They drove her home, and Skylar took a shower, and changed into her pajamas. It was a sleepless night.