chapter six.

Skylar was at her locker, getting ready to meet her mum outside. When someone from behind the locker slammed it shut, almost jamming it on her fingers.

It was Derek. He stared at her coldly. No expression visible on his eyes.

"What?" Skylar asked, annoyed, opening her locker back up.

"Why do you hang out with him?" Derek said, crudely.

"Excuse me?" Skylar asked, opening her locker back up, grabbing the rest of her belongings.

"Jacob. Why do you hang out with him? You do know he did it, right?"

Skylar slammed her locker shut, startling Derek.

"Prove it." was all she said.

Derek scoffed, "You're delusional."

"Why are you so quick to blame Jake, huh? You two were great friends two days ago. What happened in that time period, Derek?"

Derek didn't say anything. Only staring into Skylar's E/C eyes.

"Hm." she muttered.

Skylar walked away to the parking lot where Kelly was waiting, leaving Derek completely star struct.

                             .•° ✿ °•.

Kelly had pulled up outside Ben's house. They were hosting a small get together in his honor. Skylar wore a black skirt, a short sleeved black shirt, with a belt that had a gold heart, stockings and Doc Martens. Topping it off with a black coat. Yes, it was a sad occasion, but no one said you couldn't dress yourself up.

"Sorry that I can't come, love. Work has me all over the place. Also, I'll be home late tonight. So I asked the Barber's if you can spend the night again. They were fine with it."

"Last thing, I packed a bag with clothes and toiletries for you tonight. I love you, Sky." Kelly said, handing her daughter a bag.

"Thank you, Mum. I don't know what I'd do without you." Skylar said, hugging her tightly which Kelly returned.

"I have the same feelings about you." Kelly smiled, placing a kiss on Sky's head.

Skylar walked up to the front door, and knocked twice. Mr. Rifkin answered.

"Hello, Skylar. Thank you for coming." he tried smiling, but it turned into a frown quickly.

Skylar nodded, and walked in the house. There were people everywhere. She couldn't help but feel squished. Skylar sat on the couch, and pulled out her phone, about to text Jake, when he appeared next to her and sat down.

"I was just about to text you." Skylar said.

"This place is boring." Jacob said.

"I guess, but we're here as a sign of respect."

The two chatted for a while, until Andy came from behind.

"Ready to go?" he asked, which they both nodded.

"I'm going to use the bathroom, then come back." Skylar said.

She got up and went up the stairs, and saw Mrs. Rifkin, crying on Ben's bed, Mr. Rifkin comforting her. She knocked on the door, making her presence known. Mrs. Rifkin looked up, and smiled at the girl.

"Hi, I hope I'm not intruding." Skylar said, her hands in her pockets.

"Of course not, Sky. I just want to thank you for coming. I know you and Ben were great friends."

"Yeah. I'm so sorry." Skylar apologized.

Mrs. Rifkin got up, placing her hands on Skylar's cheeks. "Oh no, don't be sorry. It's not your fault."

"Just so you know, I'm here. I know it's kind of weird, but I just thought you should know." Skylar grinned up at her.

"Thank you, dear. That makes me feel better knowing you're here." Mrs. Rifkin said, removing her hands from Sky's face.

Skylar heard her phone ding, and knew it was Jacob, probably asking where she was.

"Oh, um. I have to go. Sorry to cut this short." Skylar said, taking a step back.

"Of course. Bye Skylar."

Skylar walked back down the stairs where Andy and Jake were waiting by the door.

                               .•° ✿ °•.

Jacob was in the front seat, and Skylar was seated in the back seat, while Andy was at the wheel. Jacob was on his phone, texting someone.

"Hey, come on. We agreed, no phone while I'm driving. Makes me feel like a chauffeur."

"Sorry." Jacob apologized, putting in back into his pocket.

"So you got all your homework done?"

"Yeah. Mom made me finish Catcher in the Rye even though it's not due till' like next week."

Skylar didn't listen in on their conversation too much. She almost dozed off until Jake called her name.

"Huh? Sorry, I dozed off."

"How would you feel about going to the diner?" Andy asked, looking at her through the rear view mirror.

"Oh, that's fine."

And so they drove off, to the magical land of waiters and waitresses wearing cheap uniforms, while being underpaid.

Yes, the diner.