chapter one.

Newton, Massachusetts.

Seemingly the most boring, and dullest place to live in America. Any and all residents could agree with this statement.

Skylar wished she could move to somewhere more fancy, quote on quote. Like California, or Florida. Maybe even somewhere other than America. Like Canada, or France. But until she turned eighteen, she was stuck here. Like a prisoner in a silver cell.

                                   .•° ✿ °•.

Skylar Evans stared out her bedroom window, resting on the window seal, hugging her knees. The grey clouds covered the infinite sky like a fluffy blanket. You'd think after living in such a place for so long, she'd be used to it. But she wasn't. Skylar was originally from the United Kingdom, which is most of the time a rainy place as well, but there was something about England that she thought that made it different  from Massachusetts.

Skylar heard her phone ding, she picked it up, a read a text message from Ben, a friend of hers.

Hey can you meet me in front of the school today? As soon as you get there? i have something for you.

    Yeah sure. See you then.

Just then, Skylar heard a soft knock on her door, and the door opened. She turned to see her mother, Kelly, dressed in fancy attire, with a black handbag resting on her shoulder.

"Morning, Sky. How did you sleep?" Kelly asked her daughter.

"I slept alright. Could be better."

"That's good then. Do you need a ride to school? I can see if I have time." Kelly offered, gesturing to downstairs.

Skylar hesitated. "Thank you for the offer, Mum. But I'll walk. I know how busy you are."

"Okay, dear. Be safe." Kelly said, smiling. She blew a kiss, then walked away to the car.

Skylar made her way downstairs to fix herself some breakfast. She just decided to make a bowl of cereal, with an apple. Possibly a cup of tea as well. Kelly always wanted her daughter to maintain a "healthy breakfast." After years of this, Skylar pretty much did it without thinking. It was just a routine.

After breakfast, Skylar placed her dirty dishes in the sink. Her mother always said she should do them immediately, but that morning she didn't feel like it. Kelly wouldn't be home until six pm anyways. Skylar grabbed her backpack, and headed out the door. A few minutes into the walk, she noticed her best friend, Jacob walking across the street. She quickly walked across, catching up.

"So you think you can just walk to school without me, huh?" Skylar said, her British accent, heavy.

Jacob shrugged. "I was going to text you. Forgot."

"Whatever you say, Barber."

"Your accent is going to be the death of me." Jacob teased.

"Unlikely." Skylar said, her hands in her beige coat pocket. Her black boots clicked as the two walked on. Skylar noticed how Jacob was more quiet than usual.

"You alright? You're awfully quiet."

"I'm fine. Um, I think I'm going to get to class early today."

"That's not something that you usually do. Any particular reason?"

"No, um. I just feel like it today." the boy said, looking ahead.

"Alright, well I'll see you in science later, yeah?" Skylar asked.

Jacob only nodded, and smiled. The two got to the school, and Skylar was immediately crowded by the popular kids. Skylar mouthed a sorry to Jacob, which he just shrugged and walked into the school.

That boy was something else.

After the small conversation she had with her "friends", Skylar sat on the bench outside the school, waiting for Ben.

So she waited.

And waited.

And waited.

But he never came. Skylar began to feel annoyed. Had he set her up, to make her look like a fool. She was tired of waiting, and she was going to be late for class.

"Screw this."

Skylar walked in the school, and to her next class.

Little did Miss Evans knows, that was the last time she would ever talk to Ben.