Chapter 4.

I didn't sleep at all last night. I wasn't sure what time Ross got home if he even made it home. I was up all night and when I eventually fell asleep it was time to get up.

I called Rachel to check on the restaurant. She is Rock's sister. Ross recommended her and she seemed to be doing a great job so far.

I tried texting and calling Olivianna just to see how she was doing but she never returned my calls or my texts. I think she got a new number altogether. I just wanted to see how she was doing. I had forgiven Ross, they slept together before he was with me anyway.

'Knock knock or more like one knock'

"Glad you are up Eliza, it seems you like to sleep a lot " Ross's mom was starting to get on my last nerve.

I looked at the clock and it was only 8:15 am.

"Most people are up and working at this time"

Look who's talking! Someone that never had to work a day in her life.

"You missed breakfast so I suggest that you grab some food away from the house," she said.

"I'm okay I'm not even hungry, is Ross here?" I asked changing the conversation.

"Umm, my son left early this morning. Unlike some people he has to work and make money," she said looking me up and down as she went past me and opened the curtains, the light from the bright sun was burning my eyes I was not adjusted to this Melbourne sun yet. I mean Brisbane was hot and sunny but Melbourne was another kind of sunny is hard to explain.

"I'll expect you down at the garden. My daughter should be here tomorrow and I want to pick out the best flowers for her, my gardener grows the best flowers for me but sadly he isn't here this week. He is tending to his sick wife. I hope you can instead"

She said as more of a command than a question.

"Of course," I said wishing I hadn't. I did not want to spend another minute with this person. She was not nice to me and didn't seem to like me much. But, she was Ross's mother after all and my future mother in law so I had to respect her.

"You and my son slept in separate rooms I hope?" She asked

"Yes, we did," I said wanting to slap the smile from her face.

'Calm down Eden, respect your elders'

That voice inside my head telling me this. I had to respect her. 1 I was taught better and 2 she is my future mother-in-law!

"I'll leave you to get dressed Erica I expect you in the gardens in half an hour. It will give you plenty of time to get ready oh and..." She said turning around in a twirl sort of way "I would shower first if I were you" she said smiling and walking away. This woman seemed destined to ruin my life. 

I decided to wear jeans and a red top with wedges. If I was going to work in the gardens all day might as well be comfortable. I didn't feel like wearing any jewelry and I wore very minimal makeup after a very short shower. I didn't even smell bad. I smelled my underarms and I didn't smell anything bad so I don't know why she said to take a shower the way she said it made me think I smell bad.

ugh, the power of the mind is something. 

I made my way past the kitchens to the wonderful smell of blueberry muffins,
My favorite little treat in the morning!

"Good morning Ms. Eden," a very familiar voice said. I turned to see it was Carol!

I immediately gave her a warm hug. "I am so glad you are here!"

"Are you kidding me, Ross sent me here the minute he knew you needed a friendly face around here" she said looking around.

"I could have picked you up from the airport," I said.

"He sends someone to get me"

"He didn't go himself?"

"No, I have not seen him...I made you your favorite" she said rushing to the kitchen

"Fresh out of the oven just for you"

"Thank you, Carol" I took the muffin but wasn't really in a mood to eat. Where was Ross at? I want to see him and hug him. Tell him how much I miss him and love him. But he was avoiding me.

"Hey, I miss you, where are you?" I sent him a text while rushing down the back door to go into the garden. I was in no mood to be around his mother but I had to somehow help her like me if only for just a bit.

I walked down the stairs an arch-like entryway with 2 mermaid fountains on each side was there. The pool was at the far end and the gardens were to the left again an arch entryway you couldn't miss. But the view from a far distance was breathtaking. As if you could see the whole city. Skyscrappers, tall beautiful buildings, the bluest sky with the whitest clouds it made anyone in a bad or sad mood happy again.

and the garden was even more breathtaking tall sunflowers at least a hundred of them, flowers of all kinds of colors and sizes. It smelled amazing. Wow! It was truly gorgeous like stepping into another world.

"Wow Mrs. Lyner this is truly amazing," I told her as she was standing by one of the flowers stands watering them. She wore a bright pink none sleeve dress with heels. Even while working in the garden she was classy and of prestige, I have never met anyone like her.

"The gardener does a good job why do you think he is still working here?"

She said more sarcastic based on her tone.

"Have you heard from Ross?" I just had to ask her

She gives me a sort of I know more than you look

"No, not today. I already told you he left early...you know men do not like clingy women especially my son. I still wonder what he sees in you? Compared to Courtney and some other girlfriends he has had"

ouch, that stings! I didn't want to think of his past.

I swallowed hard. Biting my tongue.

I stayed quiet admiring the beautiful flowers all around me hoping that their scent and beauty would draw my mind away somewhere else.

But the sound of my phone buzzing got my attention.

"Hey, baby I'm so sorry I've been so busy I haven't had time to check my phone. I'll be home at around 9 tonight so, see you then. I love you!" -Ross

That made me feel so much better. Knowing that he was not mad at me or ignoring me. I take whatever I can get from him at this point.
And most importantly knowing that he is okay.

"Hey Mrs. Liner" I just had to ask

She looks up at me not smiling at all

"Has Ross always been this busy with work?"

"You don't know?" She asked curiously setting her watering can on a nearby little chair.

"I know he works...a lot"

"So you don't know the family business?"

She asked lifting one eyebrow.

"I know he exports Australian goods to other countries like Vegemite and Tim tans and stuff"
She gave me a sort of weird look it was a bit weird.

"Really?" She said. "I'm done for the day. Looks like my daughter is running a bit late. Why don't we wait for her inside there is something I really would like to talk to you about"

Oh great now what?