Aileen laughed. "Whatever you say."

I sighed. Deciding the best thing to do would be to change the subject.

"I saw the clothes thank you. I really appreciate everything you've done for us," I began, fidgeting with my empty mug.

"It's no problem at all," Aileen nodded, taking a seat back down at the table beside me with her fresh cup of coffee.

I bit my lip. "If you don't mind, could I borrow some scissors? A normal shirt doesn't fit Elias with the uh...you know..." I said, gesturing to my wingless back.

"Ah yes, of course. You'll find some in the drawer there," Aileen said, pointing, "You'll also find some medication for the headache your friend will have when he wakes up."

Ignoring the way she said friend, I let out a breath.

"I almost forgot, that's probably a good idea. Also, do you have a phone I could borrow? I should probably call my mother to tell her I'm safe," I said, grabbing the scissors, pills, and a glass of water for Elias when he woke.

"Of course, I have a burner here you can use," Aileen explained, reaching into her pocket to produce a small black phone. Just trash it when you're done, alright?" I nodded as she explained, handing the phone to me.

Balancing all the things in my arms, I turned to leave, stopping when I heard Aileen call out to me. "One more thing before you go."

I paused at the door frame.

"You two should consider exploring while your here. It's a beautiful area. There's a lake about a half-mile walk from here. It could be a good place to get some fresh air and relax."

I thought for moment. "That sounds nice, but I'm not sure that's the best idea. Elias has had enough people staring at him and treating him like some kind of...spectacle," I replied, almost using the word experiment but stopping myself just in time. I still don't feel comfortable telling Aileen the severity of our situation and dealings with C.R.O.S.S. "Though maybe we can go tonight after dark?"

Aileen waved her hand dismissively. "You don't have to worry about anything; we have a good community here. Everyone here is the same. People who are on the run, with nowhere left to go. Trust me; you two aren't the strangest people who have passed by here."

I nodded, not knowing what to say or whether or not I should ask what other strange people she was talking about.

"Try to be back for dinner. I'm making pizza," She said finally, leaning back in her chair.

"Sounds great. See you then," I said, thanking her again before leaving the kitchen. I made my way back to the guest room, pausing to pick up the folded clothes outside the door before entering.

When inside, I rushed over to set everything down on the nightstand before I dropped anything. I set the bottle of pills next to the glass of water and the burner phone and looked at the clothes Aileen had given us. For me, she picked out a simple white t-shirt with a pair of light wash denim jeans and matching black bra and panties. For Elias, a larger black t-shirt with a dark blue pair of denim jeans and a pair of black boxers. Briefly, I wondered if he had ever even worn jeans, I had only ever seen him in sweatpants.

Doing my best not to picture Elias in tight jeans, I sat down at the edge of the bed and got to work cutting out the back of his shirt. Once finished, I got dressed in the new clothes and walked over to the window.

I could hear Elias groan when I pulled back the curtains to let in the sunlight, shifting to lie on his back with his arm draped over his eyes.

That's when I saw it.