━━ 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘤𝘩'𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘢

Start from the beginning

Merlin paused with uncertainty, considering the option of quickly ducking out the way he came, but she already knew of a presence within the room. Could he make an escape before she took notice to the fact that was not Guinevere Smith? Instead of debating further, he chose to at least retrieve the dress in question for her, intending to flee right after.

"I mean, the man's a total jester. And just because I'm the king's ward doesn't mean I have to accompany him to the feast, does it?"

He cursed her persistent questions, keeping silent as he placed the gown over the screen.

"Well, does it?"

Trying his best to mimic Guinevere's voice from memory alone, Merlin let out an approving sound as he tried to find a way out of his increasingly uncomfortable situation.

"If he wants me to go, then he should invite me... and he hasn't. So, do you know what that means?"

"Mm-mmm."

Growing suspicious about her maidservant's lack of voice, Morgana began to look over the screen to see if all was well. "Where are you?"

Quickly, Merlin held up one of her cloaks to shield himself from view. "Here."

Luckily for him, she bought his charade and he peaked through the neck of the garment to be sure she was no longer looking his way. "It means I'm going by myself." Though he tried to take the opportunity to escape before all went awry, she spoke words he couldn't possibly meddle his way out of without being seen. "I need some help with this fastening."

The young sorcerer froze to ice on the spot, unsure of what course of action to take and worried for the repercussions. Nothing pleasant would come from a common boy being caught in the chambers of the king's ward while she was undressing; the king himself would unleash all hell upon any such man and though he had magic as a shield against him, Merlin could not deny how terrifying he found Uther Pendragon to be.

"Gwen?"

"I'm here."

Spinning around faster than the speed of light, the heavens blessed him with the sight and presence of Guinevere, who certainly wasn't expecting to see him there.

She mouthed to him, What are you doing here?

The boy sighed in relief, motioning to the sleeping draft upon the table and then to Morgana, and it was simple enough for Guinevere to understand without words. Now free from his awkward situation, a furiously blushing Merlin didn't waste a beat in rushing away from that room without looking back.

Within seconds of entering the corridor, he all but ran headfirst into Aurora Tyndale, more than surprised to see him there and in such a state. The sight of him so flustered, so florid with embarrassment stole a laugh or two from rose petal lips, the sound only stoking the flame tenfold.

"What's wrong with you?" She asked curiously.

"Long story. Nothing! I—uh—goodbye!" He stumbled over his words like a clumsy fool, quick on his feet to continue down the corridor before disappearing around the corner.

"Right, then." Laughing to herself, she brushed off the encounter and finished her short journey to Morgana's chambers, just in time to see her abandon the dressing screen. Draped across her arms, a deep plumb gown with minimal gold accents and presently donning one of indigo midnight—effortlessly and unfairly beautiful in every hue.

"So it's whether I wear this little tease," the young woman suggested, motioning to the gown clad against her body before turning their gaze to the one she recently acquired. "Or give them a night they'll really remember."