60. Breaking Ground

Start from the beginning

****

"Oh yeah, of course I'm nervous." I answer Andre. "I know obviously I grew up with the press and being prepared for that life, but this one feels different, I don't know."

"Well this one is a really big deal." Sabrina points out. "And you're kinda on your own."

I chuckle and look down at my barely eaten salad. "Thanks, sab." I roll my eyes at her. "I think that's the biggest reason I'm nervous though. I don't have anyone to help me out or clean up my mess if this whole thing gets screwed up."

Jake rubs my thigh, in an attempt to soothe me. "It's not going to get screwed up. You have all the plans, and you have people helping you out every step of the way."

I take a sip of my lukewarm water. "Yeah. I'm just trying to take everything one step at a time."

"Exactly." Joey chimes in. "Just do the digging event and answer some questions. That's all you have to do today."

"The big screw up would be my idiot brother over here." Marco adds. "So when in doubt, just blame everything on him.

Antonio doesn't look pleased at being picked on by his older brother. "Hey. Me and the guys know what we're doing. We got a good team."

"I've been meaning to ask..Do you have a timeline for us yet?" Rosa asks.

"Roz, babe. Eat your lunch." I chuckle. "You don't have to worry about work stuff right now."

Tony goes ahead and answers her question anyway. "It should only be a few months. It's easy to make a single level building. Especially since Kasei here grabbed some good land, all the building permits and plans took no time at all to be ready to go. Today is really just for publicity, our foundation will be poured and everything will be ready to go up by the end of the week."

I feel butterflies in my stomach as the thrill of this hits me. It seems like everyone is excited, overlapping questions being fired across the table until Jake interrupts to tell us it's time to go.

"Okay guys." Rosa clears her throat. "This isn't going to be a formal, sit down event so just to prepare you. When we get to the site, it'll be full of press so stay closer to the back left and you won't get bothered. Only Kase and I will be going to the main area. Kasei." She turns to me. "Now traditionally, you and a business partner or the construction leader would both be doing the groundbreaking, but this is your event so it'll just be you up there."

I bite my lip and let out a shaky breath.

"You're going to do great. I know you're nervous, that's okay, but before you step out of the car drink some water and do double checks on everything. There's going to be a taped off area where you will stand, Tony will hand you the shovel and you will break the ground. Then, you will say a few words and some pictures will be taken, maybe some questions asked then that's it. It'll be over and the construction can start."

I nod. "Okay, I got it. I wasn't sure what to wear but this is fine, right?" I'm wearing my comfiest pair of jeans and ankle boots, with a turtleneck ¾ length sleeve that's more formal looking so I look nice for the photos. My hair which I curled before I left the house, is in a half up style and I kept my makeup light, but noticeable enough.

All the ladies immediately reassure me that I look good and after we pay, it's off we go to the event.

********

"Hey guys!" I pull everyone's attention to the front as I talk. "Just wanted to thank you all so much for coming. Gonna be honest, I didn't know there'd be so many of you interested in my life, and wow. I appreciate it more than you'll know." My eyes scan the crowd. All the ladies from barre class that are still in the city have shown up, and I'm shocked to see right in the center behind some reporters is my Dad and his family.