━━ 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘳𝘢𝘨𝘰𝘯'𝘴 𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘭

Start from the beginning

Merlin.

Yet again came the voice unknown, and now that sleep had fully vanished from his body and mind, he was able to determine that the voice, inexplicable as the notion may have been, came from below the floor. Though Merlin didn't possess the ability to see past solid stone, his eyes carefully expected every grain, wondering if more could possibly exist beneath what he believed to be the lowest level of a castle. Was there truly something hidden below the dungeons or was he not as awake as he thought?

"Merlin!" This time, the voice had not come from underground and it was one he was certain to recognize anywhere, brimming with an anger that seemed to be reserved for him alone. When the elderly physician came into view, all Merlin wanted to do was vanish into the fathoms below to avoid whatever repercussions were to come.

Eyes riddled with disappointment took in his current state, and suddenly a caged door no longer separated them. Once the guard disappeared from sight, Gaius took the opportunity to lay down the law. "You never cease to amaze me! The one thing that someone like you should do is keep your head down and what do you do? You behave like an idiot!"

Merlin forced back a cringe that fought to break through. "I'm sorry."

Gaius huffed, his ire seeming to dwindle now that all Merlin-centric frustrations had been released. "You're lucky. For reasons beyond me, the prince had a change of heart and ordered for your release."

"Really?" Despite the disapproving expression etched into every aged feature, Merlin couldn't help the rapture coursing through every vein knowing he wouldn't have to spend another night on a cold, rat-infested floor. "Yes!"

"Well, there is a small price to be paid."

Of all scenarios the young sorcerer had concocted, he didn't expect that price to be the pillory, left for the entire morning to be pelted with rotten perishables. Though it proved to be preferable to a night in the cells, cold and in the company of rodents alone, it still wasn't something he particularly enjoyed. Children laughed in glee as they threw fruits and vegetables his way, catching him in the face more often than not. The scent that lingered was revolting. Merlin wished he could flee from it, sinking further into his pit of self-induced misery as Gaius passed him by with a laugh.

"Thanks!" He called out to the old man, who truly was reveling in the repercussions the boy's actions spawned. At least Gaius was having enough fun for the both of them.

"You look like you're having the time of your life over here." Glancing slightly to the side, Merlin met the eyes of the one he recalled to be named Francis, but in the company of another young woman he had yet to meet.

Merlin chuckled, grateful for the moment of calm as the children abandoned him to retrieve more ammunition. "Certainly better than the dungeons."

"Can't say I've ever been acquainted with either, but I'll take your word for it." With a grin on his lips, Francis's gaze turned towards the curly-haired woman at his side. "This is the new friend I was telling you about—Gaius's nephew."

"Right! I'm Guinevere, but most people call me Gwen." She wasted no time in jumping into introductions, visage alight with the kindest smile he'd seen all day. A most welcome sight. "I'm the Lady Morgana's maid."

"Right." He mirrored the gesture, reaching a trapped hand out as far as possible to shake hers. "I'm Merlin, although most people just call me idiot."

"No, no, no. I saw what you did. It was so brave."

He disagreed with her assurance. "No, it was stupid."

"Well, I'm glad you walked away. You weren't going to beat him." While Guinevere was unwavering in her certainty, Francis couldn't help the sly smile curling upon his lips; if she knew what he knew about Merlin, her certainty would have been swayed without a doubt.